Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2020, vol. 29, nr 8, August, p. 929–936
Publication type: original article
MicroRNA-24 inhibits CDX1 expression in decidual tissues of recurrent spontaneous abortion mice to reduce the abortion risk
1 Department of Clinical Laboratory, Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital of Zaozhuang, China
2 Department of Blood Transfusion, Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital of Zaozhuang, China
Background. Recurrent spontaneous abortion (RSA), presenting as one of the difficult clinical diseases, has a high incidence rate among women of reproductive age, with a rising trend in recent years.
Objectives. To confirm a target relationship between miR-24 and CDX1. This study aimed to explore miR-24 expression in decidual tissue under recurrent spontaneous abortion (RSA) and its mechanism of regulating downstream gene CDX1.
Material and Methods. Female CBA/J mice were mated with male BALB/C mice to establish normal pregnancy models, and mated with male DBA/2 mice to establish RSA models. Recurrent spontaneous abortion model mice were randomized into 5 groups: a model group, a NC group, a miR-24 mimic group, a CDX1 vector group, and a miR-24 mimic+CDX1 vector group. Expressions of miR-24, CDX1, VEGF, cleaved caspase-3, Fas, and FasL, as well as apoptosis in decidual tissues, embryonic development and embryo loss rate were compared.
Results. Compared with the normal group, the embryo loss rate, apoptosis rate, and the expressions of cleaved caspase-3, Fas and CDX1 in decidual tissue in other groups were significantly increased, and the expressions of miR-24, VEGF, and FasL were significantly decreased (all p < 0.05). The miR-24 mimic group showed the opposite changes when compared with the model group (all p < 0.05). However, CDX1 overexpression can significantly block the protective effect of miR-24 overexpression on embryonic development (p < 0.05).
Conclusion. MiR-24 can inhibit CDX1 expression in decidual tissue of RSA mice, thus improving the embryonic development of the mice and reducing the RSA risk.
spontaneous abortion, caudal-type homeobox protein 1, microRNA-24
- Karim S, Jamal HS, Rouzi A, et al. Genomic answers for recurrent spontaneous abortion in Saudi Arabia: An array comparative genomic hybridization approach. Reprod Biol. 2017;17(2):133–143.
- Sun Q, Zhang XL. Research on apoptotic signaling pathways of recurrent spontaneous abortion caused by dysfunction of trophoblast infiltration. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2017;21(3 Suppl):12–19.
- Al-Azawi IH, Khaleel SH, Al-Khafaji GK. Using PCR assay for detection and subtyping of Ureaplasma parvum in women with recurrent abortion. Rev Med Microbiol. 2017;28(1):26–29.
- Yang HL, Zhou WJ, Gu CJ, et al. Pleiotropic roles of melatonin in endometriosis, recurrent spontaneous abortion, and polycystic ovary syndrome. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2018;80(1):e12839.
- Ling Y, Huang Y, Chen C, Mao J, Zhang H. Low dose cyclosporin A treatment increases live birth rate of unexplained recurrent abortion: Initial cohort study. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2017;44(2):230–235.
- Huang XJ, Wang X, Ma X, et al. EZH2 is essential for development of mouse preimplantation embryos. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2014;26(8):1166–1175.
- Dong X, Yang L, Wang H. miR-520 promotes DNA-damage-induced trophoblast cell apoptosis by targeting PARP1 in recurrent spontaneous abortion (RSA). Gynecol Endocrinol. 2017;33(4):274–278.
- Zhao L, Li J, Huang S. Patients with unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion show decreased levels of microrna-146a-5p in the deciduae. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2018;48(2):177–182.
- Chen H, Yang Q, Chen K, et al. Integrated microRNA and transcriptome profiling reveals a miRNA-mediated regulatory network of embryo abortion under calcium deficiency in peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.). BMC Genomics. 2019;20(1):392.
- Lu XY, Chen D, Gu XY, et al. Predicting value of ALCAM as a target gene of microRNA-483-5p in patients with early recurrence in hepatocellular carcinoma. Front Pharmacol. 2017;8:973.
- Zhu Y, Lu H, Huo Z, et al. MicroRNA-16 inhibits feto-maternal angiogenesis and causes recurrent spontaneous abortion by targeting vascular endothelial growth factor. Sci Rep. 2016;6:35536.
- Li D, Li J. Association of miR-34a-3p/5p, miR-141-3p/5p, and miR-24 in decidual natural killer cells with unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion. Med Sci Monit. 2016;22:922–929.
- Wang X, Li B, Wang J, et al. Evidence that miR-133a causes recurrent spontaneous abortion by reducing HLA-G expression. Reprod Biomed Online. 2012;25(4):415–424.
- Yuan Y, Kluiver J, Koerts J, et al. miR-24-3p is overexpressed in Hodgkin lymphoma and protects Hodgkin and Reed–Sternberg cells from apoptosis. Am J Pathol. 2017;187(6):1343–1355.
- Sadighi-Moghaddam B, Salek Farrokhi A, Namdar Ahmadabad H, Barati M, Moazzeni SM. Mesenchymal stem cell therapy prevents abortion in CBA/J x DBA/2 mating. Reprod Sci. 2018;25(8):1261–1269.
- Amsalem H, Kwan M, Hazan A, et al. Identification of a novel neutrophil population: Proangiogenic granulocytes in second-trimester human decidua. J Immunol. 2014;193(6):3070–3079.
- Lv S, Wang N, Lv H, et al. The attenuation of trophoblast invasion caused by the downregulation of EZH2 is involved in the pathogenesis of human recurrent miscarriage. Mol Ther Nucleic Acids. 2019;14:377–387.
- Park DW, Lee HJ, Park CW, Hong SR, Kwak-Kim J, Yang KM. Peripheral blood NK cells reflect changes in decidual NK cells in women with recurrent miscarriages. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2010;63(2):173–180.
- Ahn JH, Park HR, Park CW, Park DW, Kwak-Kim J. Expression of TWIST in the first-trimester trophoblast and decidual tissue of women with recurrent pregnancy losses. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2017;78(2). doi:10.1111/aji.12670
- Su MT, Tsai PY, Tsai HL, Chen YC, Kuo PL. miR-346 and miR-582-3p-regulated EG-VEGF expression and trophoblast invasion via matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9. Biofactors. 2017;43(2):210–219.
- Zhi Z, Yang W, Liu L, Jiang X, Pang L. Early missed abortion is associated with villous angiogenesis via the HIF-1alpha/VEGF signaling pathway. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2018;298(3):537–543.
- Xia S, Zhen Y, Ma H, Wang A. Abnormal expression of microRNA-575 leads to missed abortion through regulating apoptosis and angiogenesis. Exp Ther Med. 2017;14(5):3993–4000.
- Starchenko, II, Vitko YN, Prylutskyi OK, Bilokon SO, Vynnyk NI. Morphological and immunohistochemical characteristics of human trigeminal ganglion neurons in the prenatal period of development. Wiad Lek. 2017;70(3 Pt 2):561–565.
- Yang J, Wang Y, Wang XY, Zhao YY, Wang J, Zhao YY. Adverse pregnancy outcomes of patients with history of first-trimester recurrent spontaneous abortion. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:4359424.
- Feli A, Jazayeri S, Bitaraf MA, Solaymani Dodaran M, Parastouei K, Hosseinzadeh-Attar MJ. Combination therapy with low copper diet, penicillamine and gamma knife radiosurgery reduces VEGF and IL-8 In patients with recurrent glioblastoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2017;18(7):1999–2003.
- Zhu L, Chen H, Liu M, et al. Treg/Th17 cell imbalance and IL-6 profile in patients with unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion. Reprod Sci. 2017;24(6):882–890.
- Stavrou S, Gratz M, Tremmel E, et al. TAAR1 induces a disturbed GSK3beta phosphorylation in recurrent miscarriages through the ODC. Endocr Connect. 2018;7(2):372–384.
- Gao Y, Hong X, Wang Z, Zhu Y. Endometrial receptivity and conception outcome among women with light menstrual bleeding of unidentified etiology. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2018;140(1):37–41.