Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2020, vol. 29, nr 8, August, p. 903–910
Publication type: original article
Expression and function of lncRNA MALAT1 in gestational diabetes mellitus
1 Department of Obstetrics, Yantai Yuhuangding Hospital, China
Background. Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) severely threatens maternal and fetal health. Long non-coding RNA (lncRNA) participates in the regulation of various cellular processes.
Objectives. Previous studies have identified the role of lncRNA MALAT1 in diabetic retinopathy-related inflammation. However, the role of lncRNA MALAT1 in GDM has not been reported yet.
Material and Methods. Real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) was used to measure the lncRNA MALAT1 expression level in placental tissues from GDM patients and from a normal pregnant group. Placental trophoblastic-derived cell line HTR8 cells were divided into a control group, an siRNA negative control group and a MALAT1 siRNA group. The cells underwent RT-PCR analysis of lncRNA MALAT1 expression, an MTT assay of cell proliferation, and a transwell assay of cell invasion and migration. In addition, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) was used to analyze the level of tumor necrosis factor α (TNF-α) and interleukin 6 (IL-6). Western blotting was used to measure the changes of the tumor growth factor β (TGF-β)/nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-κB) signaling pathway.
Results. Gestational diabetes mellitus placental tissues showed higher lncRNA MALAT1 expression compared to a normal control group (p < 0.05). After siRNA intervention, lncRNA MALAT1 showed decreased expression in the trophoblastic layer; inhibited trophoblastic cell proliferation, migration, or invasion; decreased the secretion of inflammatory factors TNF-α and IL-6; and suppressed the expression of TGF-β and NF-κB compared to that of the control and siRNA-NC groups (p < 0.05).
Conclusion. Gestational diabetes mellitus appears to upregulate lncRNA MALAT1. Downregulation of lncRNA MALAT1 inhibits inflammation and suppresses the proliferation, invasion and migration of GDM placental trophoblastic cells, possibly by modulating the TGF-β/NF-κB signaling pathway.
gestational diabetes mellitus, lncRNA MALAT1, TGF-β/NF-κB signal pathway, cell proliferation, cell migration
- Riaz SH, Khan MS, Jawa A, Hassan M, Akram J. Lack of uniformity in screening, diagnosis and management of gestational diabetes mellitus among health practitioners across major cities of Pakistan. Pak J Med Sci. 2018;34(2):300–304.
- Kashyap H, Sharma D, Gala A, Tejo Pratap O, Murki S. Effect of second trimester and third trimester weight gain on immediate outcomes in neonates born to mothers with gestational diabetes: A retrospective observational study from India. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2019;32(24):4133–4138.
- Carroll X, Liang X, Zhang W, et al. Socioeconomic, environmental and lifestyle factors associated with gestational diabetes mellitus: A matched case-control study in Beijing, China. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):8103.
- Beyerlein A, Lack N, von Kries R. No further improvement in pregnancy-related outcomes in the offspring of mothers with pre-gestational diabetes in Bavaria, Germany, between 2001 and 2016. Diabet Med. 2018;35(10):1420–1424.
- Zhou JL, Xing J, Liu CH, et al. Effects of abnormal 75 g oral glucose tolerance test at different time points on neonatal complications and neurobehavioral development in the pregnant women with gestational diabetes mellitus (a STROBE-compliant article). Medicine (Baltimore). 2018;97(21):e10743.
- Rotem R, Fishman B, Daniel S, Koren G, Lunenfeld E, Levy A. Risk of major congenital malformations following first trimester exposure to vaginal azoles used for treating vulvovaginal candidiasis: A population-based retrospective cohort study. BJOG. 2018;125(12):1550–1556.
- Looman M, Schoenaker D, Soedamah-Muthu SS, Geelen A, Feskens EJM, Mishra GD. Pre-pregnancy dietary carbohydrate quantity and quality, and risk of developing gestational diabetes: The Australian Longitudinal Study on Women’s Health. Br J Nutr. 2018;120(4):435–444.
- Kim M, Park J, Kim SH, et al. The trends and risk factors to predict adverse outcomes in gestational diabetes mellitus: A 10-year experience from 2006 to 2015 in a single tertiary center. Obstet Gynecol Sci. 2018;61(3):309–318.
- Garmendia ML, Corvalan C, Casanello P, et al. Effectiveness on maternal and offspring metabolic control of a home-based dietary counseling intervention and DHA supplementation in obese/overweight pregnant women (MIGHT study): A randomized controlled trial – study protocol. Contemp Clin Trials. 2018;70:35–40.
- Reece SW, Parihar HS, Martinez M. Retrospective review of maternal and fetal outcomes in patients with gestational diabetes mellitus in an indigent prenatal clinic. Diabetes Spectr. 2018;31(2):200–205.
- Biswas S, Thomas AA, Chen S, et al. MALAT1: An epigenetic regulator of inflammation in diabetic retinopathy. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):6526.
- Ye H, Liu K, Qian K. Overexpression of long noncoding RNA HOTTIP promotes tumor invasion and predicts poor prognosis in gastric cancer. Onco Targets Ther. 2016;9:2081–2088.
- Wang SH, Wu XC, Zhang MD, Weng MZ, Zhou D, Quan ZW. Upregulation of H19 indicates a poor prognosis in gallbladder carcinoma and promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Am J Cancer Res. 2016;6(1):15–26.
- Zhang SR, Yang JK, Xie JK, Zhao LC. Long noncoding RNA HOTTIP contributes to the progression of prostate cancer by regulating HOXA13. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2016;62(3):84–88.
- Chang L, Qi H, Xiao Y, et al. Integrated analysis of noncoding RNAs and mRNAs reveals their potential roles in the biological activities of the growth hormone receptor. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2016;29:11–20.
- Li P, Zhang G, Li J, et al. Long noncoding RNA RGMB-AS1 indicates a poor prognosis and modulates cell proliferation, migration and invasion in lung adenocarcinoma. PLoS One. 2016;11(3):e0150790.
- Zhang H, Cai Y, Zheng L, Zhang Z, Lin X, Jiang N. Long noncoding RNA NEAT1 regulate papillary thyroid cancer progression by modulating miR-129-5p/KLK7 expression. J Cell Physiol. 2018;233(10):6638–6648.
- Chen H, Zhou X, Han TL, Baker PN, Qi H, Zhang H. Decreased IL-33 production contributes to trophoblast cell dysfunction in pregnancies with preeclampsia. Mediators Inflamm. 2018;2018:9787239.
- Deng Q, Liu X, Yang Z, Xie L. Expression of N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase III promotes trophoblast invasion and migration in early human placenta. Reprod Sci. 2018;26(10):1373–1381.
- Peng HY, Li MQ, Li HP. High glucose suppresses the viability and proliferation of HTR8/SVneo cells through regulation of the miR137/PRKAA1/IL6 axis. Int J Mol Med. 2018;42(2):799–810.
- Chow JY, Ban M, Wu HL, et al. TGF-beta downregulates PTEN via activation of NF-kappaB in pancreatic cancer cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;298(2):G275–G282.
- Sriramula S, Francis J. Tumor necrosis factor alpha is essential for angiotensin II-induced ventricular remodeling: Role for oxidative stress. PLoS One. 2015;10(9):e0138372.