Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2020, vol. 29, nr 7, July, p. 785–792
Publication type: original article
PD-L1, PDK-1 and p-Akt are correlated in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma
1 Department of General Surgery, Shanghai Xuhui Center Hospital, China
Background. Papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) is the most common type of thyroid carcinoma.
Objectives. To investigate the clinical significance of programmed death ligand 1 (PD-L1) and phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase 1 (PDK1) in PTC.
Material and Methods. A total of 194 PTC patients were recruited. Contralateral normal thyroid tissues were obtained and used as controls (n = 80). The expression levels of PD-L1, PDK1 and p-Akt were determined using immunohistochemistry.
Results. The PD-L1, PDK1 and p-Akt were upregulated in cancer tissues compared to the normal tissues. The mean optical density (MOD) values of PD-L1, PDK1 and p-Akt were significantly higher in the PTC tissues. The expression of PD-L1 positively correlated with the levels of PDK1 and p-Akt. In addition, the expression of PD-L1, PDK1 and p-Akt in PTC patients without chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis (CLT) was significantly higher than the expression of those proteins in the CLT patients. The patients with higher expression levels of PD-L1, PDK1 or p-Akt had remarkably larger tumors and higher rates of TNM III–IV, capsular infiltration, lymph node metastasis, and of recurrence. The Kaplan–Meier curve showed that patients with lower expression of PD-L1, PDK1 or p-Akt had significantly longer recurrence-free time. The logistic regression analysis revealed that only CLT, PD-L and capsular infiltration were risk factors for patients’ five-year recurrence.
Conclusion. The PD-L1, PDK1 and p-Akt were found to be positively correlated with a poor prognosis in PTC.
prognosis, papillary thyroid carcinoma, p-Akt, sPD-L1, PDK-1
- Abdullah MI, Junit SM, Ng KL, Jayapalan JJ, Karikalan B, Hashim OH. Papillary thyroid cancer: Genetic alterations and molecular biomarker investigations. Int J Med Sci. 2019;16(3):450–460.
- Liang J, Cai W, Feng D, et al. Genetic landscape of papillary thyroid carcinoma in the Chinese population: Somatic mutational profile of PTC in China. J Pathol. 2017;244(2):215–226.
- Lim H, Devesa SS, Sosa JA, Check D, Kitahara CM. Trends in thyroid cancer incidence and mortality in the United States, 1974–2013. JAMA. 2017;317(13):1338–1348.
- Lai X, Xia Y, Zhang B, et al. A meta-analysis of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and papillary thyroid carcinoma risk. Oncotarget. 2017;8(37):62414–62424.
- Chen JP, Bai J, Yang K. Prognostic value of cervical lymph node metastasis ratio in Asian papillary thyroid carcinoma 5-year relapse-free survival: A meta-analysis. Int Jof Clin Exp Med. 2018;11(3):1401–1410.
- Dincel O, Bayraktar C. Evaluation of platelet indices as a useful marker in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2017;118(3):153–155.
- Ji WS, Han K, Lee J, et al. Application of metabolomics in prediction of lymph node metastasis in papillary thyroid carcinoma. PLoS One. 2018;13(3):e0193883.
- Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, et al. 2015 American Thyroid Association Management Guidelines for Adult Patients with Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid. 2016;26(1):1–133.
- Arianpoor A, Asadi M, Amini E, Ziaeemehr A, Ahmadi Simab S, Seyed Zakavi SR. Investigating the prevalence of risk factors of papillary thyroid carcinoma recurrence and disease-free survival after thyroidectomy and central neck dissection in Iranian patients. Acta Chir Belg. 2019;120(3):173–178.
- Liu W, Cheng R, Su Y, et al. Risk factors of central lymph node metastasis of papillary thyroid carcinoma: A single-center retrospective analysis of 3273 cases. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96(43):e8365.
- Vita R, Ieni A, Tuccari G, Benvenga S. The increasing prevalence of chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis in papillary microcarcinoma. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2018;19(4):301–309.
- Pilli T, Toti P, Occhini R, et al. Chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis (CLT) has a positive prognostic value in papillary thyroid cancer (PTC) patients: The potential key role of Foxp3+ T lymphocytes. J Endocrinol Invest. 2018;41(6):703–709.
- Resende de Paiva C, Grønhøj C, Feldt-Rasmussen U, von Buchwald C. Association between Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and thyroid cancer in 64,628 patients. Front Oncol. 2017;7:53.
- Trotter DEG, Meng X, McQuade P, et al. In vivo imaging of the programmed death ligand 1 by 18 F positron emission tomography. J Nucl Med. 2017;58(11):1852–1857.
- Rehman JA, Han G, Carvajal-Hausdorf DE, et al. Quantitative and pathologist-read comparison of the heterogeneity of programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) expression in non-small cell lung cancer. Mod Pathol. 2017;30(3):340–349.
- Nomi T, Sho M, Akahori T, et al. Clinical significance and therapeutic potential of the programmed death-1 ligand/programmed death-1 pathway in human pancreatic cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13(7):2151–2157.
- Lubin D, Baraban E, Lisby A, Jalali-Farahani S, Zhang P, Livolsi V. Papillary thyroid carcinoma emerging from Hashimoto thyroiditis demonstrates increased PD-L1 expression, which persists with metastasis. Endocr Pathol. 2018;29(4):317–323.
- Wang JJ, Siu MK, Jiang, YX, et al. Aberrant upregulation of PDK1 in ovarian cancer cells impairs CD8+ T cell function and survival through elevation of PD-L1. Oncoimmunology. 2019;8(11):e1659092.
- Boos LA, Schmitt A, Moch H, et al. MiRNAs are involved in tall cell morphology in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Cancers (Basel). 2019;11(6):885.
- Tanaka T, Kutomi G, Kajiwara T, et al. Cancer-associated oxidoreductase ERO1-α promotes immune escape through upregulation of PD-L1 in human breast cancer. Oncotarget. 2017;8(15):24706–24718.
- Jiao S, Xia W, Yamaguchi H, et al. PARP inhibitor upregulates PD-L1 expression and enhances cancer-associated immunosuppression. Clin Cancer Res. 2017;23(14):3711–3720.
- Chintakuntlawar AV, Rumilla KM, Smith CY, et al. Expression of PD-1 and PD-L1 in anaplastic thyroid cancer patients treated with multimodal therapy: Results from a retrospective study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102(6):1943–1950.
- Aghajani M, Roberts T, Yang T, et al. Elevated levels of soluble PD-L1 are associated with reduced recurrence in papillary thyroid cancer. Endocr Connect. 2019;8(7):1040–1051.
- Bongiovanni M, Rebecchini C, Saglietti C, et al. Very low expression of PD-L1 in medullary thyroid carcinoma. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2017;24(6):L35–L38.
- Zhang W, Su J, Xu H, et al. Dicumarol inhibits PDK1 and targets multiple malignant behaviors of ovarian cancer cells. PLoS One. 2017;12(6):e0179672.
- Lian SX, Shao YB, Liu HB, et al. PDK1 induces JunB, EMT, cell migration and invasion in human gallbladder cancer. Oncotarget. 2015;6(30):29076–29086.
- Fujiwara S, Kawano Y, Yuki H, et al. PDK1 inhibition is a novel therapeutic target in multiple myeloma. Br J Cancer. 2013;108(1):170–178.
- LeBoeuf B, Anderson B, Young M, Franco A, MacDonald L. Evaluating the effectiveness of MAPK, AKT, and mTOR inhibitors in reducing proliferation in cellular models of papillary and follicular thyroid cancer [abstract]. Cancer Res. 2018;78(13 Suppl):2887.
- Xu J, Cai J, Jin X, et al. PIG3 plays an oncogenic role in papillary thyroid cancer by activating the PI3K/AKT/PTEN pathway. Oncol Rep. 2015;34(3):1424–1430.