Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2020, vol. 29, nr 5, May, p. 615–622
Publication type: review article
Classification algorithm of patients with endometriosis: Proposal for tailored management
1 Gynecology and Obstetrics, Department of Surgical Sciences, City of Health and Science, University of Torino, Italy
Endometriosis is a pseudoneoplastic disease that has a significant personal and social impact. Unlike other neoplastic diseases, its management is burdened by uncertainty and controversy. The aim of this article is to furnish clinicians with a simple, useful and updated tool to select an appropriate diagnostic-therapeutic care pathway for affected women. Guidelines and recommendations cite advances in diagnostics, novel medications and optimized assisted reproductive techniques; however, such advancements have not simplified the management of endometriosis, since they often lack an integrated, multidisciplinary view of diagnostic, therapeutic and reproductive scenarios that inevitably overlap in the management of the disease. We selected and compared major society guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of endometriosis. Three international and 5 national guidelines were analyzed. The overlapping recommendations were extracted and mapped, developing a simplified diagnostic-therapeutic care pathway in the form of an algorithm. We subdivided the patient population attending our tertiary referral center according to 4 decision nodes: type (deep infiltrating endometriosis or isolated endometrioma); stage (I–IV according to the revised American Society for Reproductive Medicine classification); predominant health problem (pain or infertility); and fertility potential of the couple (normal/abnormal screening fertility). We identified 9 classes, each corresponding to a suggested mode of treatment (medical, surgical or assisted reproductive technique) according to the most recent evidence published. This simplified scheme is designed to standardize treatment and is intended for use as a tool in diagnostic and therapeutic planning with a view to reduce inappropriate treatment.
laparoscopy, infertility, endometrioma, deep endometriosis, endometriosis management
- Endometriosis: Diagnosis and management (NG73). London, UK: National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; 2017.
- Saridogn E, Byrne D. The British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy Endometriosis Centres Project. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2013;76(1):10–13.
- D’Hooghe T, Hummelshoj L. Multi-disciplinary centres/networks of excellence for endometriosis management and research: A proposal. Hum Reprod. 2006;21(11):2743–2748.
- Soliman AM, Yang H, Du EX, Kelley C, Winkel C. The direct and indirect costs associated with endometriosis: A systematic literature review. Hum Reprod. 2016;31(4):712–722.
- Johnson NP, Hummelshoj L, Adamson GD, et al; World Endometriosis Society Sao Paulo Consortium. World Endometriosis Society Consensus on the Classification of Endometriosis. Hum Reprod. 2017;32(2):315–324.
- Dunselman GA, Vermeulen N, Becker C, et al; European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology. ESHRE guideline: Management of women with endometriosis. Hum Reprod. 2014;29(3):400–412.
- Adamson GD. Endometriosis: Medical and Surgical Management of Pain and Infertility. London, UK: International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO); 2016.
- Leyland N, Casper R, Laberge P, Singh SS; SOGC. Endometriosis: Diagnosis and management. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2010;32(7 Suppl 2):S1–32.
- Practice Bulletin No. 114: Management of endometriosis. Obstet Gynecol. 2010;116(1):223–236.
- Collinet P, Fritel X, Revel-Delhom C, et al. Management of endometriosis: CNGOF/HAS clinical practice guidelines. J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod. 2018;47(7):265–274.
- Diagnosi e trattamento dell’endometriosi. SIGO, AOGOI, AGUI. Rome, Italy: Italian Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (SIGO); 2018.
- Jones G, Jenkinson C, Kennedy S. Evaluating the responsiveness of the Endometriosis Health Profile Questionnaire: The EHP-30. Qual Life Res. 2004;13(3):705–713.
- Hudelist G, Ballard K, English J, et al. Transvaginal sonography vs clinical examination in the preoperative diagnosis of deep infiltrating endometriosis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011;37(4):480–487.
- Guerriero S, Condous G, van den Bosch T, et al. Systematic approach to sonographic evaluation of the pelvis in women with suspected endometriosis, including terms, definitions and measurements: A consensus opinion from the International Deep Endometriosis Analysis (IDEA) group. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2016;48(3):318–332.
- Exacoustos C, Malzoni M, Di Giovanni A, et al. Ultrasound mapping system for the surgical management of deep infiltrating endometriosis. Fertil Steril. 2014;102(1):143–150.e2.
- Ghezzi F, Raio L, Cromi A, et al. “Kissing ovaries”: A sonographic sign of moderate to severe endometriosis. Fertil Steril. 2005;83(1):143–147.
- Bazot M, Daraï E. Diagnosis of deep endometriosis: Clinical examination, ultrasonography, magnetic resonance imaging, and other techniques. Fertil Steril. 2017;108(6):886–894.
- Cosma S, Salgarello M, Ceccaroni M, et al. Accuracy of a new diagnostic tool in deep infiltrating endometriosis: Positron emission tomography-computed tomography with 16α-[18F]fluoro-17β-estradiol. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2016;42(12):1724–1733.
- Hughes EG, Fedorkow DM, Cllins JA. A quantitative overview of controlled trials in endometriosis-associated infertility. Fertil Steril. 1993;59(5):963–970.
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Revised American Society for Reproductive Medicine classification of endometriosis. Fertil Steril. 1997;67(5):817–821.
- Haas D, Wurm P, Shamiyeh A, Shebl O, Chvatal R, Oppelt P. Efficacy of the revised Enzian classification: A retrospective analysis. Does the revised Enzian classification solve the problem of duplicate classification in rASRM and Enzian? Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2013;287(5):941–945.
- Adamson GD, Pasta DJ. Endometriosis fertility index: The new, validated endometriosis staging system. Fertil Steril. 2010;94(5):1609–1615.
- Sallam HN, Garcia-Velasco JA, Dias S, Arici A. Long-term pituitary down-regulation before in vitro fertilization (IVF) for women with endometriosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;1:CD004635.
- Vercellini P, Somigliana E, Viganò P, Abbiati A, Barbara G, Crosignani PG. Endometriosis: Current therapies and new pharmacological developments. Drugs. 2009;69(6):649–675.
- Hapgood JP, Africander D, Louw R, Ray RM, Rohwer JM. Potency of progestogens used in hormonal therapy: Toward understanding differential actions. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;142:39–47.
- Petraglia F, Hornung D, Seitz C, et al. Reduced pelvic pain in women with endometriosis: Efficacy of long-term dienogest treatment. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012;285(1):167–173.
- Sugimoto K, Nagata C, Hayashi H, Yanagida S, Okamoto A. Use of dienogest over 53 weeks for the treatment of endometriosis. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2015;41(12):1921–1926.
- Strowitzki T, Marr J, Gerlinger C, Faustmann T, Seitz C. Dienogest is as effective as leuprolide acetate in treating the painful symptoms of endometriosis: A 24-week, randomized, multicentre, open-label trial. Hum Reprod. 2010;25(3):633–641.
- Leone Roberti Maggiore U, Remorgida V, Scala C, Tafi E, Venturini PL, Ferrero S. Desogestrel-only contraceptive pill versus sequential contraceptive vaginal ring in the treatment of rectovaginal endometriosis infiltrating the rectum: A prospective open-label comparative study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2014;93(3):239–247.
- Petta CA, Ferriani RA, Abrao MS, et al. Randomized clinical trial of a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system and a depot GnRH analogue for the treatment of chronic pelvic pain in women with endometriosis. Hum Reprod. 2005;20(7):1993–1998.
- Brown J, Pan A, Hart RJ. Gonadotrophin-releasing hormone analogues for pain associated with endometriosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;12:CD008475.
- Taylor HS, Giudice LC, Lessey BA, et al. Treatment of endometriosis-associated pain with elagolix, an oral GnRH antagonist. N Engl J Med. 2017;377(1):28–40.
- Ferrero S, Gillott DJ, Venturini PL, Remorgida V. Use of aromatase inhibitors to treat endometriosis-related pain symptoms: A systematic review. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2011;9:89.
- The effect of surgery for endometriomas on fertility: Scientific Impact Paper No. 55. BJOG. 2018;125(6):e19–e28.
- Cakmak H, Taylor HS. Molecular mechanisms of treatment resistance in endometriosis: The role of progesterone-HOX gene interactions. Semin Reprod Med. 2010;28(1):69–74.
- Ceccaroni M, Clarizia R, Bruni F, et al. Nerve-sparing laparoscopic eradication of deep endometriosis with segmental rectal and parametrial resection: The Negrar method. A single-center, prospective, clinical trial. Surg Endosc. 2012;26(7):2029–2045.
- Donnez O, Roman H. Choosing the right surgical technique for deep endometriosis: Shaving, disc excision, or bowel resection? Fertil Steril. 2017;108(6):931–942.
- Furness S, Yap C, Farquhar C, Cheong Y. Pre and post-operative medical therapy for endometriosis surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;3:CD003678.
- Jacobson TZ, Duffy JM, Barlow D, Koninckx PR, Garry R. Laparoscopic surgery for pelvic pain associated with endometriosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;8:CD001300.
- Nowroozi K, Chase JS, Check JH, Wu CH. The importance of laparoscopic coagulation of mild endometriosis in infertile women. Int J Fertil. 1987;32(6):442–444.
- Tummon IS, Asher LJ, Martin JS, Tulandi T. Randomized controlled trial of superovulation and insemination for infertility associated with minimal or mild endometriosis. Fertil Steril. 1997;68(1):8–12.
- Werbrouck E, Spiessens C, Meuleman C, D’Hooghe T. No difference in cycle pregnancy rate and in cumulative live-birth rate between women with surgically treated minimal to mild endometriosis and women with unexplained infertility after controlled ovarian hyperstimulation and intrauterine insemination. Fertil Steril. 2006;86(3):566–571.
- Olive DL, Stohs GF, Metzger DA, Franklin RR. Expectant management and hydrotubations in the treatment of endometriosis-associated infertility. Fertil Steril. 1985;44(1):35–41.
- Nezhat C, Crowgey S, Nezhat F. Videolaseroscopy for the treatment of endometriosis associated with infertility. Fertil Steril. 1989;51(2):237–240.
- Bianchi PH, Pereira RM, Zanatta A, Alegretti JR, Motta EL, Serafini PC. Extensive excision of deep infiltrative endometriosis before in vitro fertilization significantly improves pregnancy rates. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2009;16(2):174–180. Erratum in: J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2009;16(5):663.
- Papaleo E, Ottolina J, Viganò P, et al. Deep pelvic endometriosis negatively affects ovarian reserve and the number of oocytes retrieved for in vitro fertilization. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2011;90(8):878–884.
- Prefumo F, Rossi AC. Endometriosis, endometrioma, and ART results: Current understanding and recommended practices. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2018;51:34–40.
- Muzii L, Di Tucci C, Achilli C, et al. Continuous versus cyclic oral contraceptives after laparoscopic excision of ovarian endometriomas: A systematic review and metaanalysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016;214(2):203–211.
- Vercellini P, Viganò P, Somigliana E, Fedele L. Endometriosis: Pathogenesis and treatment. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2014;10(5):261–275.
- Carmona F, Martínez-Zamora MA, Rabanal A, Martínez-Román S, Balasch J. Ovarian cystectomy versus laser vaporization in the treatment of ovarian endometriomas: A randomized clinical trial with a five-year follow-up. Fertil Steril. 2011;96(1):251–254.
- Hart RJ, Hickey M, Maouris P, Buckett W. Excisional surgery versus ablative surgery for ovarian endometriomata. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;2:CD004992.
- Raffi F, Metwally M, Amer S. The impact of excision of ovarian endometrioma on ovarian reserve: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97(9):3146–3154.
- Somigliana E, Benaglia L, Paffoni A, Busnelli A, Vigano P, Vercellini P. Risks of conservative management in women with ovarian endometriomas undergoing IVF. Hum Reprod Update. 2015;21(4):486–499.
- Donnez J, Dolmans MM. Cryopreservation and transplantation of ovarian tissue. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2010;53(4):787–796.
- Benschop L, Farquhar C, van der Poel N, Heineman MJ. Interventions for women with endometrioma prior to assisted reproductive technology. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;11:CD008571.
- Donnez J, Wyns C, Nisolle M. Does ovarian surgery for endometriomas impair the ovarian response to gonadotropin? Fertil Steril. 2001;76(4):662–665.
- Hamdan M, Dunselman G, Li TC, Cheong Y. The impact of endometrioma on IVF/ICSI outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update. 2015;21(6):809–825.
- Ballester M, Oppenheimer A, Mathieu d’Argent E, et al. Deep infiltrating endometriosis is a determinant factor of cumulative pregnancy rate after intracytoplasmic sperm injection/in vitro fertilization cycles in patients with endometriomas. Fertil Steril. 2012;97(2):367–372.
- Adamson GD. Endometriosis classification: An update. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2011;23(4):213–220.
- Harb HM, Gallos ID, Chu J, Harb M, Coomarasamy A. The effect of endometriosis on in vitro fertilisation outcome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. BJOG. 2013;120(11):1308–1320.