Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2018, vol. 27, nr 7, July, p. 907–911
Publication type: original article
Examination of the antioxidant effects of pre-HSG melatonin use on ovarian surface epithelium in rats: An experimental study
1 Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Adana Numune Training and Research Hospital, Turkey
2 Department of Histology and Embryology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Imperial School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
3 Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
4 Blood Center of Balcali Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey
5 Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Background. There is no study of whether the dysplastic changes in the ovarian surface epithelium of X-ray-exposed rats during hysterosalpingography (HSG) decrease or not with the use of Lipiodol and melatonin given both intraperitoneally (i.p.) and into the suspensorium ovarii.
Objectives. We investigated the restorative effects of melatonin and Lipiodol administration during the HSG procedure on the dysplastic changes in the ovarian surface epithelium of X-ray-exposed rats.
Material and Methods. A total of 50 Wistar rats with regular estrous cycles were randomly divided into 5 groups. Group 1 was the control group. In other groups, X-ray was applied (group 2), 0.1 mL Lipiodol was applied to each uterine horn (group 3), 20 mg/kg intraperitoneal melatonin application was followed by 0.1 mL Lipiodol administration to each uterine horn after 15 min (group 4), and 20 mg/kg melatonin was administered to the ligamentum suspensorium ovarii, followed by 0.1 mL Lipiodol application to each uterine horn after 15 min (group 5). The rats in groups 2–5 were exposed to whole body radiation 3 times. After 3 h, the abdomens of all rats were reopened and left oophorectomy was performed.
Results. The presence of nucleoli and mitosis values were found similar among the groups. All other parameters were significantly higher in group 2 compared to other groups, except for the presence of nucleoli and mitosis values (p < 0.05). The presence of hyperchromasia and the total score were found to be the highest in group 2, followed by group 3, when compared to other groups (p < 0.05). It was detected that the detrimental effects of X-ray exposure diminished with Lipiodol use, and were further reduced by the use of melatonin in combination.
Conclusion. We suggest that the use of melatonin and Lipiodol during HSG may prevent the carcinogenic changes exerted by radiation on the ovarian surface epithelium.
melatonin, hysterosalpingography, rats, radiation, Lipiodol
- Úbeda B, Paraira M, Alert E, Abuin RA. Hysterosalpingography: Spectrum of normal variants and nonpathologic findings. ASSS. 2001;177: 131–135.
- Perisikanis K, Damilakis J, Grammatikakis J, Therocharopolus N, Gourtsayiannis N. Radiogenic risk from hysterosalpingography. Eur Radiol. 2003;13:1522–1528.
- Yousef M, Tambul JY, Sulieman A. Radiation dose measurements during hysterosalpingography. Sudan Medical Monitor. 2014;9(1):15–19.
- Jagetia GC, Reddy TK. Modulation of radiation-induced alteration in the antioxidant status of mice by naringin. Life Sci. 2005;77(7):780–794.
- Lett JT. Damage to cellular DNA from particulate radiations, the efficacy of its processing and the radiosensitivity of mammalian cells. Emphasis on DNA double strand breaks and chromatin breaks. Radiat Environ Biophys. 1992;31(4):257–277.
- Robbins MEC, Zhao W. Chronic oxidative stress and radiation late normal tissue injury: A review. Int J Radiat Biol. 2004;80(4):251–259.
- Yalinkilic O, Enginar H. Effect of X-radiation and lipid peroxidation and antioxidant system in rats treated with saponin-containing compound. Photochem Photobiol. 2008;84(1):236–242.
- Jagetia GC, Vankatesha VA, Reddy TK. Naringin, a citrus flavonone, protects against radiation-induced chromosome damage in mouse bone marrow. Mutagenesis. 2003;18:337–343.
- Jeon WY, Lee MY, Shin HS, Shin HK. Protective effects of the traditional herbal formula oryeongson water extract on ethanol-induced acute gastric mucosal injury in rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;1–9. doi: 10.1155/2012/438191
- Ianas O, Oliverscu R, Badescu I. Melatonin involvement in oxidative processes. Rom J Endocrinol. 1991;29:117–123.
- Reiter RJ, Tan DX, Qi W, Manchester LC, Karbownik M, Calvo JR. Pharmacology and physiology of melatonin in the reduction of oxidative stress in vivo. Biol Signals Recept. 2000;9(3–4):160–171.
- Ozcelik F, Erdem M, Bolu A, Gulsun M. Melatonin: General features and its role in psychiatric disorders. Current Approach in Psychiatry. 2013;5(2):179–203.
- Freilich JM, Spiess PE, Biogoli ME, et al. Lipiodol as a fiducial marker for image-guided radiation therapy for bladder cancer. Int Braz J Urol. 2014;40(2):190–197.
- Baumgarten AS, Emtage JB, Wilder RB, Biagioli AS, Gupta S, Spiesu PE. Intravesical lipiodol injection technique for image-guided radiation therapy for bladder cancer. Urology. 2014;83:946–950.
- Sapmaz E, Akpolat N, Çelik A, Sapmaz T, Pala S, Hanay F. Examination of the effect of HSG procedure on ovarian surface epithelium: Experimental study. J Turk Soc Obstet Gynecol. 2006;3:112–117.
- Bricaire L, Larache E, Bourcigoux N, Daradille B, Christin-Maitre S. Premature ovarian failure. Presse Med. 2013;42(11):1500–1507.
- Zhang XF, Zhang LJ, Li L, et al. Diethylhexyl phthalate exposure impairs follicular development and affects oocyte maturation in the mouse. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2013;54:354–361.
- Lee CJ, Park HH, Do BR, Yoon Y, Kim JK. Natural and radiation-induced degeneration of primordial and primary follicles in mouse ovary. Anim Reprod Sci. 2000;59(1–2):109–117.
- Pala S, Atilgan R, Kuloglu T, et al. Protective effects of vitamin C and vitamin E against hysterosalpingography-induced epithelial degeneration and proliferation in rat endometrium. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2016;4079–4089.
- Said RS, Nada AS, El-Demerdash E. Sodium selenite improves folliculogenesis in radiation-induced ovarian failure: A mechanistic approach. PLoS One. 2012;7(12):e50928.
- Preston RJ. Radiation biology: Concepts for radiation protection. Health Phys. 2005;88(6):545–556.
- Abe S, Otsuki M. Styrene maleic acid neocarzinostatin treatment for hepatocellular carcinoma. Curr Med Chem Anticancer Agents. 2002;2(6): 715–726.
- Sapmaz E, Akpolat N. Examination of the effects of pre-HSG melatonin on endometrial ablation and uterine dysplasic cell development associated with radiation. Fırat Tıp Dergisi. 2012;17(1):1–5.
- Al Mufti R, Pedley RB, Marshall D, et al. In vitro assessment of Lipiodol-targeted radiotheraphy for liver and colorectal cancer cell lines. Br J Cancer. 1999;79:1665–1671.
- Kishimoto S, Miyazawa K, Fukushima S, Takeuchi Y. In vitro antitumor activity intracellular accumulation and DNA adduct formation of cis-[((1R,2R)-1,2-cyclohexanediamine-N,N’)bis(myristato)] platinum (II) suspended in lipiodol. Jpn J Cancer Res. 2000;91(1):99–104.
- Sewerynek E, Reiter RJ, Melchiorri D, Ortiz GG, Lewinski A. Oxidative damage in the liver induced by ischemia-reperfusion: Protection by melatonin. Hepatogastroenterology. 1996;43:898–905.
- Princ FG, Juknat AA, Maxit AG, Cardalda C, Battle A. Melatonin’s antioxidant protection against delta-aminolevulinic acid-induced oxidative damage in rat cerebellum. J Pineal Res. 1997;23:40–46.
- Melchiorri D, Reiter RJ, Sewerynek E, Hara M, Chen L, Nistico G. Paraquat toxicity and oxidative damage. Reduction by melatonin. Biochem Pharmacol. 1996;51:1095–1099.
- Reiter RJ. Functional pleiotropy of neurohormone melatonin: Antioxidant protection and neuroendocrine regulation. Front Neuroendocrinol. 1995;16(4):383–415.
- Badr FM, El Habit OH, Harraz MM. Radioprotective effect of melatonin assessed by measuring chromosomal damage in mitotic and meiotic cells. Mutat Res. 1999;444(2):367–372.
- Pablos MI, Chuang JI, Reiter RJ, et al. Time course of melatonin-induced increase in glutathione peroxidase activity in chick tissues. Biol Signals. 1996;4:324–330.
- Melchiorri D, Ortiz GG, Reiter RJ, et al. Melatonin reduces paraquat-induced genotoxicity in mice. Toxicol Lett. 1998;95(2):103–108.
- Rubin DI, Schomberg PJ, Shepherd RF, Panneton JM. Arteritis and brachial plexus neuropathy as delayed complications of radiation therapy. Mayo Clin Proc. 2001;76(8):849–852.
- Bigot JM, Mathieu D, Reizine D. Radiation arteriopathies. Ann Med Interne (Paris). 1983;134(5):411–415.
- Undeger U, Giray B, Zorlu AF, Oge K, Bacaran N. Protective effects of melatonin on the ionizing radiation induced DNA damage in the rat brain. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2004;5:379–384.
- Canyılmaz E, Uslu GH, Bahat Z, et al. Comparison of the effects of melatonin and genistein on radiation induce nephrotoxicity results of an experimental study. Biomed Rep. 2016;4(1):45–50.
- Sato T, Yasui O, Kurokawa T, Asanuma Y, Koyama K. Appraisal of intra-arterial infusion of prostaglandin E1 in patients undergoing major hepatic resection report of four cases. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2001;195(2): 125–133.
- Sapmaz E, Ayar A, Celik H, Sapmaz T, Kilic N, Yasar MA. Effects of melatonin and oxytetracycline in autologous intraperitoneal ovary transplantation in rats. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2003;24(5):350–354.
- Sener G, Atasoy BM, Ersoy Y, Arbak S, Sengoz M, Yegen BC. Melatonin protects against ionizing radiation induced oxidative damage in corpus cavernosum and urinary bladder in rats. J Pineal Res. 2004;37:241–246.