Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2016, vol. 25, nr 2, March-April, p. 377–382
Publication type: review article
PET/CT Imaging for Monitoring Recurrence and Evaluating Response to Treatment in Breast Cancer
1 Department of Chemotherapy Center, Zhejiang Cancer Hospital, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Monitoring recurrence and evaluating response to therapy are important aspects of clinical decision making in the treatment of breast cancer. In this literature review, the authors highlight several of the key areas where integrated fluorine-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography (FDG PET/CT) measurements are anticipated to have a significant impact on monitoring recurrence and evaluating response to therapy. These areas include comparing FDG PET/CT with conventional imaging for detecting breast cancer metastases; evaluating the role of FDG PET/CT in the presence of elevated tumor markers during follow-up period after the primary surgery; using FDG PET/CT to assess response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NAC), targeted and endocrine therapies; using FDG PET/CT to predict response to NAC according to different molecular phenotypes of breast cancer; and applying PET/CT and some new breast-related PET tracers to evaluate response to anticancer treatment. The authors consider the relative advantages afforded by PET/CT and summarize current evidence as to the likely value of PET/CT in recurrence detection and anticancer treatment response prediction.
breast cancer, FDG PET, treatment monitoring
- Elder EE, Kennedy CW, Gluch L, Carmalt HL, Janu NC, Joseph MG, Donellan MJ, Molland JG, Gillett DJ: Patterns of breast cancer relapse. Eur J Surg Oncol 2006, 32, 922–927.
- Niikura N, Costelloe CM, Madewell JE, Hayashi N, Yu TK, Liu J, Palla SL, Tokuda Y, Theriault RL, Hortobagyi GN, Ueno NT: FDG-PET/CT compared with conventional imaging in the detection of distant metastases of primary breast cancer. The Oncologist 2011, 16, 1111–1119.
- Pennant M, Takwoingi Y, Pennant L, Davenport C, Fry-Smith A, Eisinga A, Andronis L, Arvanitis T, Deeks J, Hyde C: A systematic review of positron emission tomography (PET) and positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) for the diagnosis of breast cancer recurrence. Health Technol Assess 2010, 14, 1–103.
- Schmidt GP, Baur-Melnyk A, Haug A, Heinemann V, Bauerfeind I, Reiser MF, Schoenberg SO: Comprehensive imaging of tumor recurrence in breast cancer patients using whole-body MRI at 1.5 and 3 T compared to FDG-PET-CT. Euro J Radiol 2008, 65, 47–58.
- Constantinidou A, Martin A, Sharma B, Johnston SR: Positron emission tomography/computed tomography in the management of recurrent/metastatic breast cancer: a large retrospective study from the Royal Marsden Hospital. Ann Oncol 2011, 22, 307–314.
- Evangelista L, Cervino AR, Ghiotto C, Al-Nahhas A, Rubello D, Muzzio PC: Tumor marker-guided PET in breast cancer patients-a recipe for a perfect wedding: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Clin Nucl Med 2012, 37, 467–474.
- Filippi V, Malamitsi J, Vlachou F, Laspas F, Georgiou E, Prassopoulos V, Andreou J: The impact of FDG-PET/ /CT on the management of breast cancer patients with elevated tumor markers and negative or equivocal conventional imaging modalities. Nucl Med Commun 2011, 32, 85–90.
- Evangelista L, Baretta Z, Vinante L, Cervino AR, Gregianin M, Ghiotto C, Bozza F, Saladini G: Could the serial determination of Ca15.3 serum improve the diagnostic accuracy of PET/CT?: Results from small population with previous breast cancer. Ann Nucl Med 2011, 25, 469–477.
- Gradishar WJ, Anderson BO, Blair SL, Burstein HJ, Cyr A, Elias AD, Farrar WB, Forero A, Giordano SH, Goldstein LJ, Hayes DF, Hudis CA, Isakoff SJ, Ljung BM, Marcom PK, Mayer IA, McCormick B, Miller RS, Pegram M, Pierce LJ, Reed EC, Salerno KE, Schwartzberg LS, Smith ML, Soliman H, Somlo G, Ward JH, Wolff AC, Zellars R, Shead DA, Kumar R: National Comprehensive Cancer Network Breast Cancer Panel. Breast Cancer v. 3.2014. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2014, 12, 542–590.
- Goldhirsch A, Glick JH, Gelber RD, Coates AS, Senn HJ: Meeting highlights: International Consensus Panel on the Treatment of Primary Breast Cancer. Seventh International Conference on Adjuvant Therapy of Primary Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001, 19, 3817–3827.
- Rastogi P, Anderson SJ, Bear HD, Geyer CE, Kahlenberg MS, Robidoux A, Margolese RG, Hoehn JL, Vogel VG, Dakhil SR, Tamkus D, King KM, Pajon ER, Wright MJ, Robert J, Paik S, Mamounas EP, Wolmark N: Preoperative chemotherapy: updates of National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocols B-18 and B-27. J Clin Oncol 2008, 26, 778–785.
- Bear HD, Anderson S, Smith RE, Geyer CE Jr, Mamounas EP, Fisher B, Brown AM, Robidoux A, Margolese R, Kahlenberg MS, Paik S, Soran A, Wickerham DL, Wolmark N: Sequential preoperative or postoperative docetaxel added to preoperative doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide for operable breast cancer:National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocol B-27. J Clin Oncol 2006, 24, 2019–2027.
- Duch J, Fuster D, Muñoz M, Fernández PL, Paredes P, Fontanillas M, Guzmán F, Rubí S, Lomeña FJ, Pons F: 18F-FDG PET/CT for early prediction of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer. Euro J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2009, 36, 1551–1557.
- Kumar A, Kumar R, Seenu V, Gupta SD, Chawla M, Malhotra A, Mehta SN: The role of 18F-FDG PET/CT in evaluation of early response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced breast cancer. Euro Radiol 2009, 19, 1347–1357.
- Schwarz-Dose J, Untch M, Tiling R, Sassen S, Mahner S, Kahlert S, Harbeck N, Lebeau A, Brenner W, Schwaiger M, Jaenicke F, Avril N: Monitoring primary systemic therapy of large and locally advanced breast cancer by using sequential positron emission tomography imaging with [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose. J Clin Oncol 2009, 27, 535–541.
- Andrade WP, Lima EN, Osório CA, do Socorro Maciel M, Baiocchi G, Bitencourt AG, Fanelli MF, Damascena AS, Soares FA: Can FDG-PET/CT predict early response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer? Eur J Surg Oncol 2013, 39, 1358–1363.
- Kim T, Kang DK, An YS, Yim H, Jung YS, Kim KS, Kang SY, Kim TH: Utility of MRI and PET/CT after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients: correlation with pathological response grading system based on tumor cellularity. Acta Radiol 2014, 55, 399–408.
- Loo CE, Straver ME, Rodenhuis S, Muller SH, Wesseling J, Vrancken Peeters MJ, Gilhuijs KG: Magnetic resonance imaging response monitoring of breast cancer during neoadjuvant chemotherapy: Relevance of breast cancer subtype. J Clin Oncol 2011, 29, 660–666.
- Dehdashti F, Flanagan FL, Mortimer JE, Katzenellenbogen JA, Welch MJ, Siegel BA: Positron emission tomographic assessment of “metabolic flare” to predict response of metastatic breast cancer to antiestrogen therapy. Euro J Nucl Med 1999, 26, 51–56.
- Mortimer J, Dehdashti F, Siegel B, Trinkaus K, Katzenellenbogen J, Welch M: Metabolic flare: indicator of hormone responsiveness in advanced breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001, 19, 2797–2803.
- Mortazavi-Jehanno N, Giraudet AL, Champion L, Lerebours F, Le Stanc E, Edeline V, Madar O, Bellet D, Pecking AP, Alberini JL: Assessment of response to endocrine therapy using FDG PET/CT in metastatic breast cancer: a pilot study. Euro J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2012, 39, 450–460.
- Huyge V, Garcia C, Alexiou J, Ameye L, Vanderlinden B, Lemort M, Bergmann P, Awada A, Body JJ, Flamen P: Heterogeneity of metabolic response to systemic therapy in metastatic breast cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 2010, 22, 818–827.
- García García-Esquinas M, García-Sáenz JA, Arrazola García J, Enrique Fuentes Ferrer M, Furió V, Rodriguez Rey C, Román JM, Carreras Delgado JL: 18F-FDG PET-CT imaging in the neoadjuvant setting for stages II-III breast cancer: association of locoregional SUVmax with classical prognostic factors. Euro J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2014, 58, 66–73.
- García Vicente AM, Soriano Castrejón A, Cruz Mora MA, González Ageitos A, Muñoz Sánchez Mdel M, León Martín A, Espinosa Aunión R, Relea Calatayud F, Muñoz Madero V, Chacón López-Muñiz I, Cordero García JM, Jiménez Londoño GA: Semi-quantitative lymph node assessment of (18)F-FDG PET/CT in locally advanced breast cancer: correlation with biological prognostic factors. Euro J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2013, 40, 72–79.
- Heudel P, Cimarelli S, Montella A, Bouteille C, Mognetti T: Value of PET-FDG in primary breast cancer based on histopathological and immunohistochemical prognostic factors. Int J Clin Oncol 2010, 15, 588–593.
- Keam B, Im SA, Koh Y, Han SW, Oh DY, Cho N, Kim JH, Han W, Kang KW, Moon WK, Kim TY, Park IA, Noh DY, Chung JK, Bang YJ: Early metabolic response using FDG PET/CT and molecular phenotypes of breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy. BMC Cancer 2011, 11, 452.
- Martoni AA, Zamagni C, Quercia S, Rosati M, Cacciari N, Bernardi A, Musto A, Fanti S, Santini D, Taffurelli M: Early (18)F-2-fluoro-2-deoxy-d-glucose positron emission tomography may identify a subset of patients with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer who will not respond optimally to preoperative chemotherapy. Cancer 2010, 116, 805–813.
- Zucchini G, Quercia S, Zamagni C, Santini D, Taffurelli M, Fanti S, Martoni AA: Potential utility of early metabolic response by 18F-2-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography in a selected group of breast cancer patients receiving preoperative chemotherapy. Eur J Cancer 2013, 49, 1539–1545.
- Koolen BB, Pengel KE, Wesseling J, Vogel WV, Vrancken Peeters MJ, Vincent AD, Gilhuijs KG, Rodenhuis S, Rutgers EJ, Valdés Olmos RA: FDG PET/CT during neoadjuvant chemotherapy may predict response in ER-positive/HER2-negative and triple negative, but not in HER2-positive breast cancer. Breast 2013, 22, 691–697.
- Shields AF, Grierson JR, Dohmen BM, Machulla HJ, Stayanoff JC, Lawhorn-Crews JM, Obradovich JE, Muzik O, Mangner TJ: Imaging proliferation in vivo with [F-18]FLT and positron emission tomography. Nat Med 1998, 4, 1334–1336.
- Been LB, Elsinga PH, de Vries J, Cobben DC, Jager PL, Hoekstra HJ, Suurmeijer AJ: Positron emission tomography in patients with breast cancer using (18)F-3’-deoxy-3’-fluoro-l-thymidine ((18)F-FLT) – a pilot study. Eur J Surg Oncol 2006, 32, 39–43.
- Pio BS, Park CK, Pietras R, Hsueh WA, Satyamurthy N, Pegram MD, Czernin J, Phelps ME, Silverman DH: Usefulness of 3’-[F-18]fluoro-3’-deoxythymidine with positron emission tomography in predicting breast cancer response to therapy. Mol Imaging Biol 2006, 8, 36–42.
- Contractor K, Aboagye EO, Jacob J, Challapalli A, Coombes RC, Stebbing J: Monitoring early response to taxane therapy in advanced breast cancer with circulating tumor cells and [(18)F] 3-deoxy-3 -fluorothymidine PET: a pilot study. Biomarkers Med 2012, 6, 231–233.
- Hospers GA, Helmond FA, de Vries EG, Dierckx RA, de Vries EF: PET imaging of steroid receptor expression in breast and prostate cancer. Curr Pharm Des 2008, 14, 3020–3032.
- Dehdashti F, Laforest R, Gao F, Aft RL, Dence CS, Zhou D, Shoghi KI, Siegel BA, Katzenellenbogen JA, Welch MJ: Assessment of progesterone receptors in breast carcinoma by PET with 21-18F-fluoro-16alpha,17alpha[(R)-(1’-alpha-furylmethylidene)dioxy]-19-norpregn4-ene-3,20-dione. J Nucl Med 2012, 53, 363–370.
- Dijkers EC, Oude Munnink TH, Kosterink JG, Brouwers AH, Jager PL, de Jong JR, van Dongen GA, Schröder CP, Lub-de Hooge MN, de Vries EG: Biodistribution of 89Zr-trastuzumab and PET imaging of HER2- positive lesions in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2010, 87, 586–592.
- Piccardo A, Altrinetti V, Bacigalupo L, Puntoni M, Biscaldi E, Gozza A, Cabria M, Iacozzi M, Pasa A, Morbelli S, Villavecchia G, DeCensi A: Detection of metastatic bone lesions in breast cancer patients: fused (18)F-FluoridePET/MDCT has higher accuracy than MDCT. Preliminary experience. Eur J Radiol 2012, 81, 2632–2638.
- Iagaru A, Mittra E, Mosci C, Dick DW, Sathekge M, Prakash V, Iyer V, Lapa P, Isidoro J, de Lima JM, Gambhir SS: Combined 18F-fluoride and 18F-FDG PET/CT scanning for evaluation of malignancy: Results of an international multicenter trial. J Nucl Med 2013, 54, 176–183.