Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2016, vol. 25, nr 1, January-February, p. 163–171
Publication type: review article
Role of Platelets in Thromboembolism in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation
1 Department of Angiology, Hypertension and Diabetology, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
2 Division of Cardiology Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Thromboembolic complications of atrial fibrillation (AF) are a major cause of morbidity and mortality but the mechanism of its process remain poorly understood. There are many as yet unanswered questions surrounding the increased thrombotic tendency in AF. One of the crucial questions is what determines the fact that a thrombus remains in the left atrium in situ in some patients, while in others it breaks off and leads to embolic complications. Recent studies indicated an important role of platelets in the left atrial’s thrombus formation and suggest that the embolic potential of left atrial thromboses depends on the involvement of platelets in the process of fibrin stabilization rather than aggregation. New methods for investigating platelets function, such as the analysis of transcription activity of RNA coming from platelets contained in thrombi formed in AF, creates an opportunity for studying populations of platelets that are directly involved in homeostatic clot formation. In this paper we present current opinions on the participation of platelets in the pathogenesis of thromboembolism in patients with AF.
platelets, atrial fibrillation, thromboembolism
- Hart RG, Halperin JL: Atrial Fibrillation and Stroke: Concepts and Controversies. Stroke 2001, 32, 803–808.
- Fang MC, Singer DE, Chang Y, Hylek EM, Henault LE, Jensvold NG, Go AS: Gender differences in the risk of ischemic stroke and peripheral embolism in atrial fibrillation: the anticoagulation and risk factors in atrial fibrillation (ATRIA) study. Circulation 2005, 112, 1687–1691.
- Barretto PCA, Nobre MRC, Mansur AJ, Scipioni A, Ramires JAF: Peripheral Arterial Embolism. Report of hospitalized cases. Arq Bras Cardiol 2000, 74, 324–327.
- Hatzinikolaou-Kotsakou E, Kartasis Z, Tziakas D, Hotidis A, Stakos D, Tsatalas K, Bourikas G, Kotsakou ME, Hatserars DI: Atrial fibrillation and hypercoagulability: dependent on clinical factors or/and on genetic alterations? J Thromb Thrombolysis 2003, 16, 155–161.
- Blustin JM, McBane RD, Ketha SS, Wysokiński WE: Distribution of thromboembolism in valvular versus nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2014, 12, 1129–1132.
- Atrial Fibrillation Investigators: Echocardiographic predictors of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation: a prospective study of 1066 patients from 3 clinical trials. Arch Intern Med 1998, 158, 1316–1322.
- Black IW, Hopkins AP, Lee LC, Walsh WF: Left atrial spontaneous echo contrast: a clinical and echocardiographic analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1991, 18, 398–404.
- Goldsmith I, Lip GYH, Blann AD, Kumar P, Carter P, Patel RL: Endocardial damage is common in the left atrial appendage of patients with mitral valve disease: implications for left atrial thrombogenesis. Eur Heart J 1999, 20, 192.
- Feng D, D’Agostino RB, Silberschatz H, Lipińska I, Massaro J, Levy D, Benjamin EJ, Wolf PA, Tofler GH: Hemostatic state and atrial fibrillation (The Framingham Offspring Study). Am J Cardiol 2001, 87, 168–171.
- Gustafsson C, Blomback M, Britton M, Hamsten A, Svensson J: Coagulation factors and the increased risk of stroke in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Stroke 1990, 21, 47–51.
- Lip GYH: The prothrombotic state in atrial fibrillation: new insights, more questions, and clear answers needed. Am Heart J 2000, 140, 348–350.
- Lip GYH: Does atrial fibrillation confer a hypercoagulable state? Lancet 1995, 346, 1313–1314.
- Conway DSG, Pearce LA, Chin BSP, Hart RG, Lip GYH: Prognostic value of plasma von Willebrand factor and soluble P-selectin as indices of endothelial damage and platelet activation in 994 patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation. Circulation 2003, 107, 3141–3145.
- Ammash N, Konik EA, McBane RD, Chen D, Tange JI, Grill DE, McLeod TG, Friedman PA, Wysokiński WE: Left Atrial Blood Stasis and Von Willebrand Factor-ADAMTS13 Homeostasis in Atrial Fibrillation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2011, 31, 2760–2766.
- Blustin JM, McBane RD, Mazur M, Ammash N, Schor O, Grill DE, Wysokiński WE: The association of thromboembolic complications and blood group in patients with atrial fibrillation. Int J Cardiol 2014 (in press).
- Bath PM and Butterworth RJ: Platelet size: measurement, physiology and vascular disease. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 1996, 7, 157–161.
- Lakkis N, Dokainish H, Abuzahra M, Tsyboulev V, Jorgensen J, De Leon AP, Saleem A: Reticulated Platelets in Acute Coronary Syndrome: A Marker of Platelet Activity. JACC 2004, 44, 2091–2093.
- Mayda-Domac F, Misirli H, Yilmaz M: Prognostic role of mean platelet volume and platelet count in ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2010, 19, 66–72.
- Perl L, Lerman-Shivek H, Rechavia E, Vaduganathan M, Leshem-Lev D, Zemer-Wassercug N, Dadush O, Codner P, Bental T, Battler A, Kornowski R, Lev EI: Response to prasugrel and levels of circulating reticulated platelets in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014, 63, 513–517.
- Koh KR, Yamane T, Ohta K, Hino M, Takubo T, Tatsumi N: Pathophysiological significance of simultaneous measurement of reticulated platelets, large platelets and serum thrombopoietin in non-neoplastic thrombocytopenic disorders. Eur J Haematol 1999, 63, 295–301.
- Guthikonda S, Alviar CL, Vaduganathan M, Arikan M, Tellez A, DeLao T, Granada JF, Dong JF, Kleiman NS, Lev EI: Role of reticulated platelets and platelet size heterogeneity on platelet activity after dual antiplatelet therapy with aspirin and clopidogrel in patients with stable coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008, 52, 743–749.
- Hoffmann JJ, van den Broek NM, Curvers J: Reference intervals of reticulated platelets and other platelet parameters and their associations. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2013, 137, 1635–1640.
- Choudhury A, Chung I, Blann AD, Lip GY: Platelet surface CD62P and CD63, Mean Platelet Volume, and soluble/platelet P-selectin as index of platelet function in atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007, 49, 1957–1964.
- Hwang JJ, Ko FN, Li YH, Ma HM, Wu GJ: Clinical implications and factors related to left atrial spontaneous echo contrast in chronic nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Cardiology 1994, 85, 69–75.
- Kunishima S, Hattori M, Kobayashi S: Activation and destruction of platelets in patients with rheumatic heart disease. Eur Heart J 1994, 15, 335–338.
- Kataoka H, Yano S, Mikuriya Y: Relationship of mitral valve area to hemostatic condition in rheumatic mitral stenosis. J Cardiol 1994, 24, 387–395.
- Shinohara H, Fukuda N, Socki T: Relationship between flow dynamics in the left atrium and hemostatic abnormalities in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Jpn Heart J 1998, 39, 721–730.
- Goette A, Ittenson A, Hoffmanns P, Reek S, Hartung W, Klein H, Ansorqe S, Geller JC: Increased expression of P-selectin in patients with chronic atrial fibrillation. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2000, 23(11 Pt 2), 1872–1875.
- Sohara H, Amitani S, Kurose M, Miyahara K: Atrial fibrillation activates platelets and coagulation in a time dependent manner: A study in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol 1997, 29, 106–112.
- Wysokinski WE, Owen WG, Fass DN, Murphy L, Patrzalek DD, McBane RD: Atrial Fibrillation and Thrombosis: Immunohistochemical Differences between in situ and Embolized. J Thromb Haemost 2004, 2, 1637–1644.
- McRedmond J, Park SD, Reily DF, Coppinger JA, Maguire PB, Shiels DC, Fitzgerald DJ: Integration of proteomics and genomics in platelets: a profile of platelet proteins and platelet-specific genes. Mol Cell Proteomics 2004, 3, 133–144.
- Rox JM, Bugert P, Müller J, Schorr A, Hanfland P, Madlener K, Pötzsch B: Gene expression in platelets from a single donor: evaluation of a PCR-based amplification technique. Clin Chem 2004, 50, 2271–2278.
- Wang X, Hsu MY, Steinbacher TE, Monticello TM, Schumacher WA: Quantification of platelet composition in experimental venous thrombosis by real-time polymerase chain reaction. Thromb Research 2007, 119, 593–600.
- Garzon R, Pichiorri F, Palumbo T, Iuliano R, Cimmino A, Aqeilan R, Volinia S, Bhatt D, Alder H, Marcucci G, Calin GA, Liu CG, Bloomfield CD, Andreeff M, Croce CM: MicroRNA fingerprints during human megakaryocytopoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006, 103, 5078–5083.
- Kondkar AA, Bray MS, Leal SM, Nagalla S, Liu DJ, Jin Y, Dong JF, Ren Q, Whiteheart SW, Shaw C, Bray PF: VAMP8/endobrevin is overexpressed in hyper-reactive human platelets: suggested role for platelet microRNA. J Thromb Haemost 2010, 8, 369–378.
- Starczynowski DT, Kuchenbauer F, Wegrzyn J, Rouhi A, Petriv O, Hansen CL, Humphries RK, Karsan A: MicroRNA-146a disrupts hematopoietic differentiation and survival. Exp Hematol 2010, 39, 167–178.
- Nagalla S, Shaw C, Kong X, Kondkar A, Edelstein LC, Ma L, Chen J, McKnight GS, Lopez JA, Yang L, Jin Y, Bray MS, Leal SM, Dong JF, Bray PF: Platelet microRNA-mRNA coexpression profiles correlate with platelet reactivity. Blood 2011, 117, 5189–5197.
- Osman A, Falker K: Characterisation of human platelet microRNA by quantitative PCR coupled with an annotation network for predicted target genes. Platelets 2011, 22, 433–441.
- Li H, Zhao H, Wang D, Yang R: MicroRNBA regulation in megakaryocytopoiesis. Br J Haematol 2011, 155, 298–307.
- Valencia-Sanchez MA, Liu J, Hannon GJ, Parker R: Control of translation and mRNA degradation by miRNAs and siRNAs. Genes Dev 2006, 20, 515–524.
- Gosk-Bierska I, McBane RD, Wu Y, Mruk J, Tafur A, McLeod TG, Wysokinski WE: Platelet factor XIII gene expression and embolic propensity in atrial fibrillation. Thromb Haemost 2011, 106, 75–82.
- Goldsmith IR, Foo LS, Blann AD, Lip GYH: Increased platelet activation and endothelial dysfunction in patients immediately following percutaneous balloon mitral valvuloplasty. Clin Cardiol 2000, 23, 587–590.
- Minamino T, Kitakaze M, Sato H, Asanuma H, Funaya H, Koretsune Y, Hori M: Plasma levels of nitrite/nitrate and platelet C-GMP levels are decreased in patients with atrial fibrillation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1997, 17, 3191–3195.
- Colkesen Y, Acil T, Abayli B, Yigit F, Katircibasi T, Kocum T, Demircan S, Sezgin A, Ozin B, Muderrisoglu H: Mean platelet volume is elevated during paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: a marker of increased platelet activation? Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2008, 19, 411–414.
- Goren Y, Meiri E, Hogan C, Mitchell H, Lebanony D, Salman N, Schliamser JE, Amir O: Relation of Reduced Expression of MiR-150 in Platelets to Atrial Fibrillation in Patients With Chronic Systolic Heart Failure. Am J Cardiol 2014, 113, 976–981.
- Ha SI, Choi DH, Ki YJ, Yang JS, Park G, Chung JW, Koh YY, Chang KS, Hong SP: Stroke prediction using mean platelet volume in patients with atrial fibrillation. Platelets 2011, 22, 408–414.
- Pongratz G, Brandt-Pohlmann M, Henncke KH, Pohle C, Zink D, Gehling G, Bachmann K: Platelet activation in embolic and preembolic status of patients with non-rheumatic atrial fibrillation. Chest 1997, 111, 929–933.
- Tekin G, Tekin YK, Sivri N, Yetkin E: Mean platelet volume in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2013, 24, 537–539.
- Tse HF, Lau CP, Cheng G: Relation between mitral regurgitation and platelet activation. J Am Coll Cardiol 1997, 30, 1813–1818.
- Turgut O, Zorlu A, Kilicli F, Cinar Z, Yucel H, Tandogan I, Dokmetas HS: Atrial fibrillation is associated with increased mean platelet volume in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Platelets 2013, 24, 493–497.
- Yuce M, Cakici M, Davutoglu V, Ozer O, Sari I, Ercan S, Sucu M, Dogan A, Yavuz F: Relationship between mean platelet volume and atrial thrombus in patients with atrial fibrillation. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2010, 21, 722–725.
- Billot S, Kouroupi EG, Guilloux J, Cassinat B, Jardin C, Laperche T, Fenaux P, Carpentier AF, Kiladjian JJ: Neurological disorders in essential thrombocythemia. Haematologica 2011, 96, 1866–1869.
- Ikeda U, Yamamoto K, Shimada K: Biochemical markers of coagulation activation in mitral stenosis, atrial fibrillation and cardiomyopathy. Clin Cardiol 1997, 20, 7–10.
- Movsowitz C, Movsowitz HD, Jacobs LE, Meyerowitz CB, Podolsky LA, Kotler MN: Significant mitral regurgitation is protective against left atrial spontaneous echo contrast and thrombus as assessed by transesophageal echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiography 1993, 6, 107–114.
- Nakagami H, Yamamoto K, Ikeda U, Mitsuhashi T, Goto T, Shimada K: Mitral regurgitation reduces the risk of stroke in patients with nonrheumatic atrial fibrillation. Am Heart J 1998, 136, 528–532.
- Kaul H, Gutzweiller JP, Schnedier K, Dirsch O, Hausermann M: Aortic valve stenosis as a cause of major systemic embolism – a case report. Angiology 1998, 49, 231–234.
- Li-Saw-Hee FL, Blann AD, Gurney D, Lip GYH: Plasma von Willebrand factor, fibrinogen and soluble P-selectin levels in paroxysmal, persistent and permanent atrial fibrillation. Effects of cardioversion and return of left atrial function. Eur Heart J 2001, 22, 1741–1747.
- McDonagh J, McDonagh RP, Delage JM, Wagner RH: Factor XIII in human plasma and platelets. J Clin Invest 1969, 48, 940–946.
- Helgason CM, Hoff JA, Kondos GT, Brace LD: Platelet aggregation in patients with atrial fibrillation taking aspirin or warfarin. Stroke 1993, 24, 1458–1461.