Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2015, vol. 24, nr 4, July-August, p. 595–605
Publication type: original article
Anti-Ulcerogenic Effects of Salmalia Malabarica in Gastric Ulceration – Pilot Study
1 Government College, University Faisalabad, Pakistan
2 College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Institute of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Biochemical Pharmaceutics, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
3 Department of Toxicology, School of Medicine and Public Health, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Background. According to an estimation of the WHO, almost 80% of people globally are treated by traditional medicine.
Objectives. We evaluated the anti-ulcerogenic potential of Salmalia malabarica extract in rats using aspirin-, alcoholand pylorus ligation-induced ulcer models.
Material and Methods. Two different doses (200 and 400 mg/kg body weight) of Salmalia malabarica extract was administered intraperitoneally (i.p.) to all 3 ulcer-induced models for 5 consecutive days. The anti-ulcerogenic potential in rats treated with 2 doses of Salmalia malabarica extract and omeprazole (20 mg/kg, i.p.) was determined and compared to the control groups.
Results. Salmalia malabarica extract showed a significant decrease in ulcer index as compared to the control group in a dose-dependent manner. Salmalia malabarica extract also showed protection of 66.22% and 74.54% in asprin-, 73.79% and 78.14% in alcoholand 68.94% and 78.84% in pylorus ligation-induced ulcers. However, omeprazole showed protection of 84.73%, 85.5% and 86.12% in aspirin-, alcoholand pylorus ligation-induced ulcers, respectively. Furthermore, Salmalia malabarica extract significantly decreased the volume of gastric juice, free and total acidity, whereas it increased gastric pH when directly compared to the control group.
Conclusion. Conclusively, Salmalia malabarica possesses anti-ulcerogenic, antisecretory, and cytoprotective potential and can be used as a supplement for the treatment of gastric ulcers in a dose dependent manner.
Conclusion. Adv Clin Exp Med 2015, 24, 4, 595–605
Salmalia malabarica, ulcer index, cytoprotective mechanism, peptic ulcer.
- Devaraj V, Asad M, Prasad S: Effect of leaves and fruits of Moringa oleifera on gastric and duodenal ulcers. Pharm Biol 2007, 45, 332–338.
- Choudhary MK, Bodakhe SH, Gupta SK: Assessment of the antiulcer potential of Moringa oleifera root-bark extract in rats. J Acupunct Meridian Stud 2013, 6, 214–220.
- Khan MSA, Hussain SA, Jais AMM, Zakaria ZA, Khan M: Anti-ulcer activity of Ficus religiosa stem bark ethanolic extract in rats. J Med Plants Res 2011, 5, 354–359.
- Avinash K, Abha D, Ganesh NS: Peptic ulcer: a review with emphasis on plants from Cucurbetaceae family with antiulcer potential. IJRAP 2011, 2, 1714–1716.
- Pimple B, Kadam P, Patil M: Ulcer healing properties of different extracts of Origanum majorana in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced diabetic rats. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2012, 2, 312–318.
- Goel R, Sairam K: Anti-ulcer drugs from indigenous sources with emphasis on Musa sapientum, Tamrabhasma, Asparagus racemosus and Zingiber officinale. Indian J Pharmacol 2002, 34, 100–110.
- Singh S, Khajuria A, Taneja SC, Khajuria RK, Sing J, Johr RK, Qazi GN: The gastric ulcer protective effect of boswellic acids, a leukotriene inhibitor from Boswellia serrata, in rats. Phytomedicine 2008, 15, 408–415.
- Wallace JL: Prostaglandins, NSAIDs, and gastric mucosal protection: why doesn’t the stomach digest itself? Physiol Rev 2008, 88, 1547–1565.
- Gill NS, Garg M, Bansal R, Sood S, Muthuraman A, Bali M, Sharma PD: Evaluation of Antioxidant and Antiulcer potential of Cucumis sativum L. seed extract in rats. Asian J Clin Nutr 2009, 1, 131–138.
- Akash MSH, Rehman K, Rasool F, Sethi A, Abrar MA, Irshad A, Abid A, Murtaza G: Alternate therapy of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) with Nigella (Ranunculaceae). J Med Plants Res 2011, 5, 6885–6889.
- Rehman K, Akash MSH, Azhar S, Khan SA, Abid R, Waseem A, Murtaza G, Sherazi TA: A Biochemical and Histopathologic Study Showing Protection and Treatment of Gentamicin-Induced Nephrotoxicity in Rabbits Using Vitamin C. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2012, 9, 360–365.
- Ibrahim M, Farooq T, Hussain N, Hussain A, Gulzar T, Hussain I, Akash MSH, Rehmani FS: Acetyl and butyryl cholinesterase inhibitory sesquiterpene lactones from Amberboa ramose. Chem Cent J 2013, 7, 116.
- Akash MSH, Rehman K, Chen S: Effects of coffee on type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutrition 2014, 30, 755–763.
- Parveen A, Akash MSH, Rehman K, Mahmood Q, Qadir MI: Analgesic, anti-inflammatory and anti-pyretic activities of Caesalpinia decapetala. Bioimpacts 2014, 4, 43–48.
- Akash MSH, Rehman K, Chen S: Spice plant Allium cepa: Dietary supplement for treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutrition 2014, DOI: 10.1016/j.nut.2014.02.011.
- Hussain L, Ikram J, Rehman K, Tariq M, Ibrahim M, Akash MSH: Hepatoprotective Effects of Malva sylvestris L. against Paracetamol-induced Hepatotoxicity. Turk J Biol 2014, DOI: 10.3906/biy-1312-32.
- Rani P, Khullar N: Antimicrobial evaluation of some medicinal plants for their anti-enteric potential against multi-drug resistant Salmonella typhi. Phytother Res 2004, 18, 670–673.
- Jain DL, Baheti AM, Jain SR, Khandelwal KR: Use of medicinal plants among tribes in Satpuda region of Dhule and Jalgaon districts of Maharashtra – An Ethnobotanical survey. Indian J Trad Knowledge 2010, 91, 152–157.
- Kumar A, Baboota S, Agarwal S, Ali J, Ahuja A: Treatment of acne with special emphasis on herbal remedies. Expert Rev Dermatol 2008, 3, 111–122.
- Prabhu K, Karar P, Hemalatha S, Ponnudurai K: Antiulcer activity of Ethanolic leaf extracts of three Viburnum Linn. Species – A comparative evaluation. JRAP 2011, 2, 787–792.
- De D, Chatterjee K, Ali K, Mandal S, Barik B, Ghosh D: Antidiabetic and antioxidative effects of hydro-methanolic extract of sepals of Salmalia malabarica in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. J Appl Biomed 2010, 8, 23–33.
- Harbone JP: Phytochemical methods, a guide to modern technique of plant analysis. Chapman and Hall, London 1973, 1–271.
- Kokate CK, Purohit AP, Gokhale SB: Pathway to screen phytochemical nature of natural drugs. A text book of pharmacognosy. Pune: Nirali Prakashan 2006, 34th ed., 593–597.
- Paget E: The LD50 test LD50 and possible alternatives. Acta Pharmacolgica Toxicol 1981, 52, 1–14.
- Sairam K, Rao CV, Babu MD, Kumar KV, Agrawal VK, Goel RK: Antiulcerogenic effect of methanolic extract of Emblica officinalis: an experimental study. J Ethnopharmacol 2002, 82, 1–9.
- Gurbuz I, Yesilada E, Ito S: An anti-ulcerogenic flavonol diglucoside from Equisetum palustre L. J Ethnopharmacol 2009, 121, 360–365.
- Kakub G, Gulfraz M: Cytoprotective effects of Bergenia ciliata Sternb, extract on gastric ulcer in rats. Phytother Res 2007, 21, 1217–1220.
- Patil PH, Patil JY, Mahale JN, Patel JB, Surana SJ: Evaluation of antiulcer activity of the terpenoid fraction from the leaves of Thespesia populnea (L) (Malvaceae) in albino rats. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2010, 1, 495–513.
- Sivaraman D, Muralidharan P: Cytoprotective effect of Morinda tinctoria Roxb. against surgical and chemical factor induced gastric and duodenal ulcers in rats. Ulcers 2011, 2011, 2–9.
- Joudi L, Bibalani GH, Shayegh J: Introduce of medicinal species of Leguminosae family in Ilkhji and Sharafaldin regions (eastern Azerbaijan province-Iran). J Am Sci 2011, 7, 455–458.
- Lewis DA, Fields WN, Shaw GP: A natural flavanoid present in unripe banana pulp (Musa sapientum L. var. paradisiacal) protects the gastric mucosa from aspirin-induced erosions. J Ethnopharmacol 1999, 65, 283–288.
- Tsuda T: The role of anthocyanins as an antioxidant under oxidative stress in rats. Biofactors 2000, 13, 133–139.
- Al-Rehaily AJ, Al-Howiriny TA, Al-Sohaibani MO, Rafatullah S: Gastroprotective effects of ‘Amla’ Emblica officinalis on in vivo test models in rats. Phytomedicine 2002, 9, 515–522.
- Arumugam S, Selvaraj SV, Velayutham S, Natesan SK, Palaniswamy K: Evaluation of anti-ulcer activity of Samanea saman (Jacq) merr bark on ethanol and stress induced gastric lesions in albino rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2011, 43, 586–590.
- Sairam K, Rao CV, Babu MD, Goel RK: Prophylactic and curative effects of Bacopa monniera in gastric ulcer models. Phytomed 2001, 8, 423–430.
- Brzozowska I, Targosz A, Sliwowski Z, Kwiecień S, Drozdowicz D, Pajdo R, Konturek PC, Brzozowski T, Pawlik M, Konturek SJ, Pawlik WW, Hahn EG: Healing of chronic gastric ulcers in diabetic rats treated with native aspirin, nitric oxide (NO)-derivative of aspirin and cyclooxygenase (COX)-2inhibitor. J Physiol Pharmacol 2004, 55, 773–790.
- Malairajan P, Gopalakrishnan G, Narasimhan S, Veni K, Kavimani S: Anti-ulcer activity of crude alcoholic extract of Toona ciliata Roemer (heart wood). J Ethnopharmacol 2007, 110, 348–351.
- Mabrouk MA, Nnawodu FI, Tanko Y, Dawud F, Mohammed A: Effect of aqueous garlic (Ag) on aspirin induced gastric mucosal lesion in albino Wistar rats. Curr Res J Biol Sci 2009, 1, 15–19.
- Sivaraman D, Muralidharan P: Anti-ulcerogenic evaluation of root extract of Ficus hispida Linn. in aspirin ulcerated rats. Afr J Pharmacy Pharmacol 2010, 4, 79–82.
- Nair V, Arjuman A, Gopalkrishnan HN, Dorababu P, Mirshad PV, Bhargavan D, Chatterji D: Evaluation of the anti-ulcer activity of NR-ANX-C (a polyherbal formulation) in aspirin and pyloric ligature induced gastric ulcer in albino rats. Indian J Med Res 2010, 132, 218–223.
- Jainu M, Mohan KV, Devi CSS: Gastroprotective effect of Cissus quadrangularis extract in rats with experimentally induced ulcer. Indian J Med Res 2006, 123, 799–806.
- Vinothapooshan G, Sundar K: Anti-ulcer activity of Mimosa pudica leaves against gastric ulcer in rats. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2010, 1, 606–614.
- Goulart YCF, Sela VR, Obici S, Martins JVC, Otobone F, Cortez DA, Audi EA: Evaluation of gastric anti-ulcer activity in a hydro-ethanolic extract from Kielmeyera coriacea. Braz Arch Biol Technol 2005, 48, 211–216.
- Wolfe MM, Lichtenstein DR, Singh G: Gastrointestinal toxicity of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. N Eng J Med 1999, 340, 1888–1899.
- Maricic N, Ehrlich K, Gretzer B, Schuligoi R, Respondek M, Peskar BM: Selective cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitors aggravate ischaemia-reperfusion injury in the rat stomach. Br J Pharmacol 2009, 128, 1659–1666.
- Thamotharan G, Sekar G, Ganesh T, Sen S, Chakraborty R, Kumar S: Antiulcerogenic effects of Lantana camara Linn. leaves on in vivo test models in rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010, 3, 57–60.
- Ubaka M, Ukwe V, Okoye C, Adibe O: Investigation into the anti-ulcer activity of the aqueous leaf extract of Aspilia africana CD Adams. Asian J Med Sci 2010, 2, 40–43.
- Zaman R, Rehman A: Anti-helicobacter pylori and protective effects of aqueous Fumaria vaillantii L extract in pylorus-ligated, indomethacin-and toxic-induced ulcers in rats. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2010, 4, 256–262.
- Patra KC, Pareta SKN, Harwansh R, Kumar M, Meena KP: Evaluation of Shivaksharpachan churna for its Gastroprotective Activity. Pharmacologyonline 2011, 2, 731–737.
- Devi MR, Subramanian NS, Anbazhagan S, Telrandhe UB: Anti gastric ulcer activity of Ficus nervosa bark in Wistar albino rats. J Chem Pharm Res 2012, 4, 1288–1295.
- Borrelli F, Izzo AA: The plant kingdom as a source of anti-ulcer remedies. Phytother Res 2000, 14, 581–591.
- Reagan-Shaw S, Nihal M, Ahmad N: Dose translation from animal to human studies revisited. FASEB J 2008, 22, 659–661.