Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2015, vol. 24, nr 2, March-April, p. 331–340
Publication type: original article
Effect of Adjuvant Interferon Therapy on Hepatitis B/C Virus-Related Hepatocellular Carcinoma After Curative Therapy – Meta-Analysis
1 1 Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing, China
Background. Hepatocellular carcinoma is the fifth most common malignant cancer in the world. Liver resection and local ablation are the most effective therapeutic approaches for most HCC patients. Recurrence after curative therapy is very common. Some studies reveal that IFNs have an effect on recurrence. While the opinion is disagreement.
Objectives. The aim of this meta-analysis was to evaluate whether interferon therapy could reduce the recurrence of patients of hepatitis B/C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma after curative therapy.
Material and Methods. All randomized controlled trials about interferon on recurrence of hepatitis B/C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma patients after curative surgery treatment were searched from PubMed, Embase, Cochrane library (all from 1977 to January 2014). Two reviewers independently assessed the quality of each included study and extracted data. RevMan 5.1 was used for meta-analysis.
Results. Pooled data analysis revealed that the interferon group had no statistical significance on the recurrence of hepatitis-related hepatocellular carcinoma compared to the control group (RR = 0.91, 95% CI, 0.82 to 1.00); p = 0.11). While from the subgroup analysis of adjuvant interferon can reduce the recurrence of the median tumor size below 3 cm (RR 0.50, 95% CI 0.35–0.72; p = 0.00002).
Conclusion. Adjuvant IFN after curative treatment of hepatitis-related HCC can improve the survival of HCC patients. In addition, IFN could decrease the recurrence rate of HCC patient with median tumor size below 3 cm but not exceeding 3 cm.
interferon, hepatocellular carcinoma, recurrence, survival.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, Ferlay J, Ward E, Forman D: Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin 2011, 61, 69–90.
- El-Serag HB, Rudolph KL: Hepatocellular carcinoma: epidemiology and molecular carcinogenesis. Gastroenterology 2007, 132, 2557–2576.
- Llovet JM, Fuster J, Bruix J: Intention-to-treat analysis of surgical treatment for early hepatocellular carcinoma: resection versus transplantation. Hepatology 1999, 30, 1434–1440.
- Clavien PA: Interferon: the magic bullet to prevent hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence after resection? Ann Surg 2007, 245, 843–845.
- Shiina S, Tagawa K, Niwa Y: Percutaneous ethanol injection therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: results in 146 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1993, 160, 1023–1028.
- Pompili M, Rapaccini GL, de Luca F: Risk factors for intrahepatic recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients treated by percutaneous ethanol injection. Cancer 1997, 79, 1501–1508.
- Makuuchi M, Donadon M, Torzilli G: Hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis. Ann Ital Chir 2008, 79, 111–115.
- Lo CM, Liu CL, Chan SC: A randomized, controlled trial of postoperative adjuvant interferon therapy after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Surg 2007, 245, 831–842.
- Belghiti J, Panis Y, Farges O, Benhamou JP, Fekete F: Intrahepatic recurrence after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma complicating cirrhosis. Ann Surg 1991, 214, 114–117.
- Mazzaferro V, Romito R, Schiavo M: Prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence with alpha-interferon after liver resection in HCV cirrhosis. Hepatology 2006, 44, 1543–1554.
- Mazzaferro V, Regalia E, Doci R: Liver transplantation for the treatment of small hepatocellular carcinomas in patients with cirrhosis. N Engl J Med 1996, 334, 693–699.
- Llovet JM, Schwartz M, Mazzaferro V: Resection and liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma. Semin Liver Dis 2005, 25, 181–200.
- Lau WY, Lai EC, Leung TW, Yu SC: Adjuvant intra-arterial iodine-131-labeled lipiodol for resectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective randomized trial-update on 5-year and 10-year survival. Ann Surg 2008, 247, 43–48.
- Lai EC, Lo CM, Fan ST, Liu CL, Wong J: Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy after curative resection of hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Surg 1998, 133, 183–188.
- Boucher E, Corbinais S, Rolland Y: Adjuvant intra-arterial injection of iodine-131-labeled lipiodol after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2003, 38, 1237–1241.
- Muto Y, Moriwaki H, Saito A: Prevention of second primary tumors by an acyclic retinoid in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. N Engl J Med 1999, 340, 1046–1047.
- Colombo M, Donato MF: Prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma. Semin Liver Dis 2005, 25, 155–161.
- Wang L, Wu WZ, Sun HC: Mechanism of interferon alpha on inhibition of metastasis and angiogenesis of hepatocellular carcinoma after curative resection in nude mice. J Gastrointest Surg 2003, 7, 587–594.
- Von Marschall Z, Scholz A, Cramer T: Effects of interferon alpha on vascular endothelial growth factor gene transcription and tumor angiogenesis. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003, 95, 437–448.
- Dinney CP, Bielenberg DR, Perrotte P, Reich R, Eve BY, Bucana CD, Fidler IJ: Inhibition of basic fibroblast growth factor expression, angiogenesis, and growth of human bladder carcinoma in mice by systemic interferonalpha administration. Cancer Res 1998, 58, 808–814.
- Sun HC, Tang ZY, Wang L: Postoperative interferon alpha treatment postponed recurrence and improved overall survival in patients after curative resection of HBV-related hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomized clinical trial. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2006, 132, 458–465.
- Shiratori Y, Shiina S, Teratani T: Interferon therapy after tumor ablation improves prognosis in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma associated with hepatitis C virus. Ann Inter Med 2003, 138, 299–306.
- Nishiguchi S, Tamori A, Kubo S: Effect of long-term postoperative interferon therapy on intrahepatic recurrence and survival rate after resection of hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma. Intervirology 2005, 48, 71–75.
- Lin SM, Lin CJ, Hsu CW, Tai DI, Sheen IS, Lin DY, Liaw YF: Prospective randomized controlled study of interferon-alpha in preventing hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence after medical ablation therapy for primary tumors. Cancer 2004, 100, 376–382.
- Kubo S, Nishiguchi S, Hirohashi K: Effects of long-term postoperative interferon-alpha therapy on intrahepatic recurrence after resection of hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Inter Med 2001, 134, 963–967.
- Kubo S, Nishiguchi S, Hirohashi K, Tanaka H, Shuto T, Kinoshita H: Randomized clinical trial of long-term outcome after resection of hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma by postoperative interferon therapy. Br J Surg 2002, 89, 418–422.
- Ikeda K, Arase Y, Saitoh S: Interferon beta prevents recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after complete resection or ablation of the primary tumor-A prospective randomized study of hepatitis C virus-related liver cancer. Hepatology 2000, 32, 228–232.
- Chen LT, Chen MF, Li LA: Disease Committee of Adjuvant Therapy for Postoperative Hepatocellular Carcinoma TCOGNHRIZT Long-term results of a randomized, observation-controlled, phase III trial of adjuvant interferon Alfa-2b in hepatocellular carcinoma after curative resection. Ann Surg 2012, 255, 8–17.
- Breitenstein S, Dimitroulis D, Petrowsky H, Puhan MA, Mullhaupt B, Clavien PA: Systematic review and metaanalysis of interferon after curative treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with viral hepatitis. Br J Surg 2009, 96, 975–981.
- Miao RY, Zhao HT, Yang HY: Postoperative adjuvant antiviral therapy for hepatitis B/C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 2010, 16, 2931–2942.
- Sacks H, Chalmers TC, Smith H Jr: Randomized versus historical controls for clinical trials. Am J Med 1982, 72, 2330–2340.
- Blum HE, Spangenberg HC: Hepatocellular carcinoma: an update. Arch Iran Med 2007, 10, 361–371.
- Kawano Y, Sasaki A, Kai S: Prognosis of patients with intrahepatic recurrence after hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma: a retrospective study. Eur J Surg Oncol 2009, 35, 174–179.
- Tung-Ping Poon R, Fan ST, Wong J: Risk factors, prevention, and management of postoperative recurrence after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Surg 2000, 232, 10–24.
- Okuda K, Ohtsuki T, Obata H, Tomimatsu M, Okazaki N, Hasegawa H: Natural history of hepatocellular carcinoma and prognosis in relation to treatment. Study of 850 patients. Cancer 1985, 56, 918–928.
- Singal AK, Freeman DH, Jr, Anand BS: Meta-analysis: interferon improves outcomes following ablation or resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2010, 32, 851–858.
- Zhang CH, Xu GL, Jia WD, Ge YS: Effects of interferon alpha treatment on recurrence and survival after complete resection or ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int J Cancer Suppl 2009, 124, 2982–2988.