Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2014, vol. 23, nr 5, September-October, p. 835–842
Publication type: review article
The Use of Low-Level Energy Laser Radiation in Basic and Clinical Research
1 Department and Clinic of Internal and Occupational Diseases and Hypertension, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
Laser radiation has specific attributes: monochromaticity, high coherence and polarization. These properties result in the extensive use of lasers in medicine. Laser devices can be assigned into three basic groups by means of their level of energy: high, medium and low energy. All of these types of radiation are used in medicine. However, the most commonly used, in basic science and clinical studies, is low-energy radiation. Molecular effects of low energy laser irradiation on cells are generally described as “fotobiostimulation” and “fotobiomodulation”. These phenomena consequently lead to attempts to exploit this kind of radiation as a treatment method (low-level laser therapyLLLT). Areas in which LLLT is used are: regenerative medicine (for healing wounds and ulcers); aesthetic medicine (to improve appearance of scars); dentistry (to accelerate healing of implants); physiotherapy (to reduce chronic pain syndromes), orthopedics (in bone healing) and cardiology (as a prevention of restenosis after percutaneous coronary intervention). This paper discusses the medical applications of LLLT which are used in daily clinical practice as well as those used in basic science.
low energy laser radiation, therapy, medical application, basic science.
- Mester E, Szende B, Gartner P: The effect of laser beams on the growth of hair in mice. Radiobiol Radiother 1968, 9, 621–626.
- AlGhamdi K, Kumar A, Moussa N: Low-level laser therapy: a useful technique for enhancing the proliferation of various cultured cells. Lasers Med Sci 2012, 27, 237–249.
- Karu T, Pyatibrat L, Kalendo G: Photobiological modulation of cell attachment via cytochrome c oxidase. Photochem Photobiol Sci 2004, 3, 211–216.
- Karu T, Pyatibrat L, Kalendo G: Irradiation with He-Ne laser increases ATP level in cells cultivated in vitro. J Photochem Photobiol 1995, 27, 219–223.
- Chen A, Arany P, HuangY, Tomkinson E, Sharma S, Kharkwal G, Saleem T, Mooney D, Yull F, Blackwell T, Hamblin M: Low-Level Laser Therapy Activates NF-kB via Generation of Reactive Oxygen Species in Mouse Embryonic Fibroblasts. PLoS One 2011, 6, e22453.
- Gao X, Xing D: Molecular mechanisms of cell proliferation induced by low power laser irradiation. J Biomed Sci 2009, 16, 4.
- Duan R, Liu T, Li Y, Guo H, Yao L: Signal transduction pathways involved in low intensity He-Ne laser-induced respiratoryburst in bovine neutrophils: a potential mechanism of low intensity laser biostimulation. Lasers Surg Med 2001, 29, 174–178.
- Zhang J, Xing D, Gao X: Low-power laser irradiation activates Src tyrosine kinase through reactive oxygen species-mediated signaling pathway. J Cell Physiol 2008, 217, 518–528.
- Huang L, Wu S, Xing D: High fluence low-power laser irradiation induces apoptosis via inactivation of Akt/ GSK3β signaling pathway. J Cell Physiol 2011, 226, 588–601.
- Gao X, Chen T, Xing D, Wang F, Pei Y, Wei X: Single cell analysis of PKC activation during proliferation and apoptosis induced by laser irradiation. J Cell Physiol 2006, 206, 441–448.
- Santos H, Rigos C, Tedesco A, Ciancaglini P: Biostimulation of Na,K-ATPase by low-energy laser irradiation (685 nm, 35 mW): comparative effects in membrane, solubilized and DPPC:DPPE-liposome reconstituted enzyme. J Photochem Photobiol B 2007, 89, 22–28.
- Lopatina E, Yachnev I, Penniyaynen V, Plakhova V, Podzorova S, Shelykh T, Rogachevsky I, Butkevich I, Mikhailenko V, Kipenko A, Krylov B: Modulation of signal-transducing function of neuronal membrane Na+,K+- -ATPase by endogenous ouabain and low-power infrared radiation leads to pain relief. Med Chem 2012, 8, 33–39.
- Lubart R, Friedmann H, Sinykov M, Cohen N, Breitbart H: Changes in calcium transport in mammalian sperm mitochondria and plasma membranes caused by 780 nm irradiation. Lasers Surg Med 1997, 21, 493–499.
- Lavi R, Shainberg A, Friedmann H, Shneyvays V, Rickover O, Eichler M, Kaplan D, Lubart R: Low Energy Visible Light Induces Reactive Oxygen Species Generation and Stimulates an Increase of Intracellular Calcium Concentration in Cardiac Cells. J Biol Chem 2003, 278, 40917–40922.
- Kitajima S, Ozaki H, Karaki H: Role of different sub types of P2 purinoceptor on cytosolic Ca2 levels in rat aortic smooth muscle. Eur J Pharmacol 1994, 266, 263–226.
- Huertas R, Luna-Bertos E, Ramos-Torrecillas J, Leyva F, Ruiz C, García-Martínez O: Effect and Clinical Implications of the Low-Energy Diode Laser on Bone Cell Proliferation. Biol Res Nurs 2013, doi: 10.1177/ /1099800413482695.
- Saygun I, Nizam N, Ural A, Serdar M, Avcu F, Tözüm T: Low-level laser irradiation affects the release of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF), insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), and receptor of IGF-I (IGFBP3) from osteoblasts. Photomed Laser Surg 2012, 30, 149–154.
- Ribeiro D, Matsumoto M: Low-level laser therapy improves bone repair in rats treated with anti-inflammatory drugs. J Oral Rehabil 2008, 35, 925–933.
- Nissan J, Assif D, Gross M, Yaffe A, Binderman I: Effect of low intensity laser irradiation on surgically created bony defects in rats. J Oral Rehabil 2006, 33, 619–624.
- Khadra M, Rønold H, Lyngstadaas S, Ellingsen J, Haanaes H: Low-level laser therapy stimulates bone-implant interaction: an experimental study in rabbits. Clin Oral Implants Res 2004, 15, 325–332.
- Woodruff L, Bounkeo J, Brannon W, Dawes K, Barham C, Waddell D, Enwemeka C: The efficacy of laser therapy in wound repair: a meta-analysis of the literature. Photomed Laser Surg 2004, 22, 241–247.
- Dawood M, Salman S: Low level diode laser accelerates wound healing. Lasers Med Sci 2013, 28, 941–945.
- Silveira P, Silva L, Freitas T, Latini A, Pinho R: Effects of low-power laser irradiation (LPLI) at different wavelengths and doses on oxidative stress and fibrogenesis parameters in an animal model of wound healing. Lasers Med Sci 2011, 26, 125–131.
- Usumez A, Cengiz B, Oztuzcu S, Demir T, Aras M, Gutknecht N: Effects of laser irradiation at different wavelengths (660, 810, 980, and 1.064 nm) on mucositis in an animal model of wound healing. Lasers Med Sci 2013, doi: 10.1007/s10103-013-1336-z.
- Lacjaková K, Bobrov N, Poláková M, Slezák M, Vidová M, Vasilenko T, Novotný M, Longauer F, Lenhardt L, Bober J, Levkut M, Sabol F, Gál P: Effects of equal daily doses delivered by different power densities of low-level laser therapy at 670 nm on open skin wound healing in normal and corticosteroid-treated rats: a brief report. Lasers Med Sci 2010, 25, 761–766.
- Cury V, Moretti A, Assis L, Bossini P, de Souza Crusca J, Neto C, Fangel R, de Souza H, Hamblin M, Parizotto N: Low level laser therapy increases angiogenesis in a model of ischemic skin flap in rats mediated by VEGF, HIF-1α and MMP-2. J Photochem Photobiol B 2013, 125, 164–170.
- Carvalho R, Alcântara P, Kamamoto F, Cressoni M, Casarotto R: Effects of low-level laser therapy on pain and scar formation after inguinal herniation surgery: a randomized controlled single-blind study. Photomed Laser Surg 2010, 28, 417–422.
- Gaida K, Koller R, Isler C, Aytekin O, Al-Awami M, Meissl G, Frey M: Low Level Laser Therapy-a conservative approach to the burn scar? Burns 2004, 30, 362–367.
- Maluki A, Mohammad F: Treatment of atrophic facial scars of acne vulgaris by Q-Switched Nd:YAG (Neodymium: Yttrium-Aluminum-Garnet) laser 1064 nm wavelength. J Cosmet Laser Ther 2012, 14, 224–233.
- Bjordal J, Johnson M, Iversen V, Aimbire F, Lopes-Martins R: Low-level laser therapy in acute pain: a systematic review of possible mechanisms of action and clinical effects in randomized placebo-controlled trials. Photomed Laser Surg 2006, 24, 158–168.
- Maia M, Bonjardim L, Quintans Jde S, Ribeiro M, Maia L, Conti P: Effect of low-level laser therapy on pain levels in patients with temporomandibular disorders: a systematic review. J Appl Oral Sci 2012, 20, 594–602.
- Jang H, Lee H: Meta-analysis of pain relief effects by laser irradiation on joint areas. Photomed Laser Surg 2012, 30, 405–417.
- Sgolastra F, Petrucci A, Severino M, Gatto R, Monaco A: Lasers for the treatment of dentin hypersensitivity: a meta-analysis. J Dent Res 2013, 92, 492–499.
- Gautam A, Fernandes D, Vidyasagar M, Maiya A, Nigudgi S: Effect of low-level laser therapy on patient reported measures of oral mucositis and quality of life in head and neck cancer patients receiving chemoradiotherapy – a randomized controlled trial. Support Care Cancer 2013, 21, 1421–1428.
- Bensadoun R, Nair R: Low-level laser therapy in the prevention and treatment of cancer therapy-induced mucositis: 2012 state of the art based on literature review and meta-analysis. Curr Opin Oncol 2012, 24, 363–370.
- Angelov N, Pesevska S, Nakova M, Gjorgoski I, Ivanovski K, Angelova D, Hoffmann O, Andreana S: Periodontal treatment with a low-level diode laser: clinical findings. Gen Dent 2009, 57, 510–513.
- Yang H, Huang Y: Treatment of burning mouth syndrome with a low-level energy diode laser. Photomed Laser Surg 2011, 29, 123–125.
- Scoletta M, Arduino PG, Reggio L, Dalmasso P, Mozzati M: Effect of low-level laser irradiation on bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis of the jaws: preliminary results of a prospective study. Photomed Laser Surg 2010, 28, 179–184.
- Oron U, Yaakobi T, Oron A, Mordechovitz D, Shofti R, Hayam G, Dror U, Gepstein L, Wolf T, Haudenschild C, Ben Haim S: Low-energy laser irradiation reduces formation of scar tissue after myocardial infarction in rats and dogs. Circulation 2001, 103, 296–301.
- Tuby H, Maltz L, Oron U: Induction of autologous mesenchymal stem cells in the bone marrow by low-level laser therapy has profound beneficial effects on the infarcted rat heart. Lasers Surg Med 2011, 43, 401–409.
- Yaakobi T, Shoshany Y, Levkovitz S, Rubin O, Ben Haim S, Oron U: Long-term effect of low energy laser irradiation on infarction and reperfusion injury in the rat heart. J Appl Physiol 2001, 90, 2411–2419.
- Derkacz A, Protasiewicz M, Poreba R, Szuba A, Andrzejak R: Usefulness of intravascular low-power laser illumination in preventing restenosis after percutaneous coronary intervention. Am J Cardiol 2010, 106, 1113–1117.
- Derkacz A, Protasiewicz M, Poręba R, Doroszko A, Andrzejak R: Effect of the intravascular low energy laser illumination during percutaneous coronary intervention on the inflammatory process in vascular wall. Lasers Med Sci 2013, 28, 763–768.