Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2016, vol. 25, nr 3, May-June, p. 465–470
Publication type: original article
Alteration in Methylation Pattern of Retinoblastoma 1 Gene Promotor Region in Intestinal Metaplasia with or without Helicobacter pylori and Gastric Cancer Patients
1 Department of Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Adnan Menderes University, Aydin, Turkey
2 Department of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
3 Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
Background. Helicobacter pylori, intestinal metaplasia (IM), and gene methylation play important roles in gastric carcinogenesis. However, the association among H. pylori infection, IM, gastric cancer (GC), and gene methylation is not fully understood. Cell cycle control involving retinoblastoma 1 (RB1) gene is one of the main regulatory pathways reported to be altered in gastric carcinogenesis.
Objectives. The purpose of this research is to assess the methylation status of RB1 gene in GC and IM with or without H. pylori infection, and to discuss the possible role of H. pylori-induced RB1 gene methylation in the mechanism of gastric carcinogenesis.
Material and Methods. The methylation profile of RB1 gene was analyzed by sodium bisulfite modification and methylation-specific PCR in GC (n = 24), IM patients with H. pylori positive (n = 20) and negative (n = 20), and control subjects (n = 20).
Results. According to methylation levels in RB1 gene; the high correlation values were detected between H. pylori positive-IM group and GC group, and between H. pylori positive-IM and H. pylori negative-IM groups (p < 0.05). No correlations between H. pylori negative-IM and GC groups and between GC and control groups were detected in methylation status of RB1 gene.
Conclusion. High methylation levels in RB1 gene in H. pylori positive individuals may suggest an elevated risk of gastric cancer occurrence.
gastric cancer, Helicobacter pylori, intestinal metaplasia, methylation, retinoblastoma 1
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, Ferlay J, Ward E, Forman D: Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin 2011, 61, 69–90.
- Siegel R, Ward E, Brawley O, Jemal A: Cancer statistics. The impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths. CA Cancer J Clin 2011, 61, 212.
- Yalcin S: Gastric Cancer in Turkey — A Bridge Between West and East. Gastrointest Cancer Res 2009, 3, 29–32.
- Franco AT, Johnston E, Krishna U, Yamaoka Y, Israel DA, Nagy TA, Wroblewski LE, Piazuelo MB, Correa P, Peek RM Jr: Regulation of gastric carcinogenesis by Helicobacter pylori virulence factors. Cancer Res 2008, 68, 379–387.
- Nardone G, Compare D, De Colibus P, de Nucci G, Rocco A: Helicobacter pylori and epigenetic mechanisms underlying gastric carcinogenesis. Dig Dis 2007, 25, 225–229.
- Ford GM, Gallie BL, Phillips RA, Becker AJ: A physical map around the retinoblastoma gene. Genomics 1990 Feb, 6, 284–292.
- Bookstein R, Rio P, Madrepeira SA, Hong F, Allred C, Grizzle WE, Lee WH: Promoter deletion and loss of retinoblastoma gene expression in human prostate carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1990, 87, 7762–7766.
- Dehan P, Kustermans G, Guenin S, Horion J, Boniver J, Delvenne P: DNA methylation and cancer diagnosis: New methods and applications. Expert Rev Mol Diag 2009, 9, 651–657.
- Esteller M: Epigenetics in cancer. N Engl J Med 2008, 358, 1148–1159.
- Baylin SB, Ohm JE: Epigenetic gene silencing in cancer – a mechanism for early oncogenic pathway addiction? Nat Rev Cancer 2006, 6, 107–116.
- Asik-Sen G, Kasap E, Orenay-Boyacioglu S, Korkmaz M, Kahraman E, Unsal B, Yuksel-Saritas E, Yuceyar H: GSTP1 gene methylation profiles in Helicobacter pylori (+) and (–) intestinal metaplasia patients and gastric tumor patients in Turkish population. Hepato-Gastroenterology 2012, 59, 2664–2667.
- Meyer HJ, Wilke H: Treatment strategies in gastric cancer. Dtsch Arztebl Int 2011, 108, 698–706.
- Layke JC, Lopez PP: Gastric cancer: Diagnosis and treatment. Am Fam Physician 2004, 69, 1133–1140.
- Shin A, Fwe RFJ, Park S: Gastric cancer epidemiology in Korea. J Gastric Cancer 2011, 11, 135–140.
- Tuncer M, Dinc I, Sander E: Gastric carcinoma. Endoscopy Gastrointestinal 1992, 2, 21–23.
- Bor S, Vardar R, Ormeci N, Memik F, Suleymanlar I, Oguz D, Colakoglu S, Yucesoy M, Turkdogan K, Gurel S, Dogan I, Yildirim B, Goral V, Dokmeci G, Okcu N, Duman D, Simsek I, Demir A: Prevalence patterns of gastric cancer in Turkey: A model of a developing country with high occurrence of Helicobacter pylori. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007, 22, 2242–2245.
- Laird PW: The power and the promise of DNA methylation markers. Nat Rev Cancer 2003, 3, 253–266.
- Ushijima T, Nakajima T, Maekita T: DNA methylation as a marker for the past and future. J Gastroenterol 2006, 41, 401–407.
- Dunn GP, Rinne ML, Wykosky J, Genovese G, Quayle SN, Dunn IF, Agarwalla PK, Chheda MG, Campos B, Wang A, Brennan C, Ligon KL, Furnari F, Cavenee WK, Depinho RA, Chin L, Hahn WC: Emerging insights into the molecular and celluler basis of glioblastoma. Genes Dev 2012, 26, 756–784.
- Zhao YF, Zhang YG, Tian XX, Juan Du, Jie Zheng: Aberrant methylation of multiple genes in gastric carcinomas. Int J Surg Pathol 2007, 15, 242–251.
- Liu X, Tang X, Zhang S: Methylation and Expression of Retinoblastoma and Transforming Growth Factor-β1 Genes in Epstein-Barr Virus-Associated and Negative Gastric Carcinomas. Gastroenterol Res Pract 2012, 2012, 906017.
- Constância M, Seruca R, Carneiro F, Silva F, Castedo S: Retinoblastoma gene structure and product expression in human gastric carcinomas. Br J Cancer 1994, 70, 1018–1024.
- Nardone G, Rocco A, Malfertheiner P: Review article: Helicobacter pylori and molecular events in precancerous gastric lesions. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004, 20, 261–270.
- Ding S, Goldberg, JB, Hatakeyama M: Helicobacter pylori infection, oncogenic pathways and epigenetic mechanisms in gastric carcinogenesis. Future Oncol 2010, 6, 851–862.
- Maekita T, Nakazawa K, Mihara M, Nakajima T, Yanaoka K, Iguchi M, Arii K, Kaneda A, Tsukamoto T, Tatematsu M, Tamura G, Saito D, Sugimura T, Ichinose M, Ushijima T: High levels of aberrant DNA methylation in Helicobacter pylori-infected gastric mucosae and its possible association with gastric cancer risk. Clin Cancer Res 2006, 12, 989–995.