Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2015, vol. 24, nr 4, July-August, p. 671–677
Publication type: review article
Current Possibilities to Assess the Degree of Liver Fibrosis in Patients with Haemophilia Infected with HCV – Review
1 Department of Infectious Diseases, Hepatology and Acquired Immune Deficiences, Wrocław Medical University, Poland
2 Department of General and Pediatric Radiology, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
3 Department of Hematology, Blood Neoplasms and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Wrocław Medical University, Poland
4 1st Division of Infectious Diseases, J. Gromkowski Regional Specialist Hospital, Wrocław, Poland
Haemophilia is an entity, wherein the HCV infection rate is greater than in the general population and ranges between 70–90%. The majority of HCV infections were acquired by hemophiliacs in the 1980s, by the use of infected cryoprecipitate or fresh frozen plasma preparations. It is therefore highly likely that many of them, more than twenty years after the infection, have developed advanced liver disease. Until recently, in order to assess its severity, it was necessary to perform a liver biopsy. Currently, we observe rapid developments of non-invasive methods that are particularly useful in patients with bleeding disorders. The most popular include elastography (Fibroscan, SWE) and the algorithms based on measurements of the relevant blood parameters (e.g. FibroTest, Fibrometer, APRI index). Ease of implementation of these studies, no need for hospitalization of the patient or specific preparation for surgery, allow for quick and minimally invasive assessment of liver disease progression and classification of the patient to the appropriate antiviral therapy.
fibrosis, haemophilia, hepatitis C, non-invasive methods, liver biopsy.
- Yee TT, Griffioen A, Sabin CA, Dusheiko G, Lee CA: The natural history of HCV in a cohort of haemophilic patients infected between 1961 and 1985. Gut 2000, 47, 845–851.
- Lee C, Dusheiko G: The natural history and antiviral treatment of hepatitis C in haemophilia. Heamophilia 2002, 8, 322.
- Windyga J, Grabarczyk P, Stefańska E, Buczma A, Szczepanik AB, Klukowska A, Mikulska M, Medyńska J, Brojer E: Prevalence of HCV, HBV and HIV infections among severe Polish haemophiliacs. Przegl Epidemiol 2008, 62, 415–423.
- Fassio E: Hepatitis C and hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Hepatol 2010, 9, 119–122.
- Dienstag JL: The role of liver biopsy in chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 2002, 36, 152–160.
- Cadranel JF, Rufat P, Degos F: Practices of liver biopsy in France: results of a prospective nationwide survey. For the Group of Epidemiology of the French Association for the Study of the Liver (AFEF). Hepatology 2000, 32, 477–481.
- Grant A, Neuberger J: Guidelines on the use of liver biopsy in clinical practice. Gut 1999, 45, 1–15.
- Regev A, Berho M, Jeffers LJ, Milikowski C, Molina EG, Pyrsopoulos NT, Feng ZZ, Reddy KR, Schiff ER: Sampling error and intraobserver variation in liver biopsy in patients with chronic HCV infection. Am J Gastroenterol 2002, 97, 2614–2618.
- Bedossa P, Dargère D, Paradis V: Sampling variability of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 2003, 38, 1449–1457.
- Bourliere M, Penaranda G, Renou C, Botta-Fridlund D, Tran A, Portal I, Lecomte L, Castellani P, Rosenthal-Allieri M, Gerolami R, Ouzan D, Deydier R, Degott C, Halfon P: Validation and comparison of indexes for fibrosis and cirrhosis prediction in chronic hepatitis C patients: proposal for a pragmatic approach classification without liver biopsies. J Viral Hepat 2006, 13, 659–670.
- Poynard T, Munteanu M, Imbert-Bismut F, Charlotte F, Thabut D, Le Calvez S, Messous D, Thibault V, Benhamou Y, Moussalli J, Ratziu V: Prospective analysis of discordant results between biochemical markers and biopsy in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Clin Chem 2004, 50, 1344–1355.
- De Lédinghen V, Vergniol J: Transient elastography for the diagnosis of liver fibrosis. Expert Rev Med Devices 2010, 7, 811–823.
- Foucher J, Chanteloup E, Vergniol J, Castéra L, Le Bail B, Adhoute X, Bertet J, Couzigou P, De Lédinghen V: Diagnosis of cirrhosis by transient elastography (FibroScan): a prospective study. Gut 2006, 55, 403–408.
- Takeda T, Yasuda T, Nakayama Y, Nakaya M, Kimura M, Yamashita M, Sawada A, Abo K, Takeda S, Sakaguchi H, Shiomi S, Asai H, Seki S: Usefulness of noninvasive transient elastography for assessment of liver fibrosis stage in chronic hepatitis C. World J Gastroenterol 2006, 12, 7768–7773.
- Guidelines CP: EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines: management of hepatitis C virus infection. J Hepatol 2011, 55, 245–264.
- Ziol M, Handra-Luca A, Kettaneh A, Christidis C, Mal F, Kazemi F, De Lédinghen V, Marcellin P, Dhumeaux D, Trinchet JC, Beaugrand M: Noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis by measurement of stiffness in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 2005, 41, 48–54.
- Kettaneh A, Marcellin P, Douvin C, Poupon R, Ziol M, Beaugrand M, De Lédinghen V: Features associated with success rate and performance of FibroScan measurements for the diagnosis of cirrhosis in HCV patients: a prospective study of 935 patients. J Hepatol 2007, 46, 628–634.
- Friedrich-Rust M, Ong MF, Herrmann E, Dries V, Rust MF: Real-Time Elastography for Noninvasive Assessment of Liver Fibrosis in Chronic Viral Hepatitis. AJR 2007, 188, 758–764.
- Ferraioli G, Tinelli C, Malfitano A, Bello BD, Filice G, Filice C, Above E, Barbarini G, Brunetti E, Calderon W, Di Gregorio M, Lissandrin R, Ludovisi S, Maiocchi L, Michelone G, Mondelli M, Patruno SF, Perretti A, Poma G, Sacchi P, Zaramella M, Zicchetti M: Performance of Real-Time Strain Elastography, Transient Elastography, and aspartate-to-platelet ratio index in the assessment of fibrosis in chronic Hepatitis C. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2012, 199, 19–25.
- Yoon JH, Lee JM, Woo HS, Yu MH, Joo I, Lee ES, Sohn JY, Lee KB, Han JK, Choi BI: Staging of hepatic fibrosis: comparison of magnetic resonance elastography and shear wave elastography in the same individuals. KJR 2013, 14, 202–212.
- Godfrey EM, Mannelli L, Griffin N, Lomas DJ: Magnetic resonance elastography in the diagnosis of hepatic fibrosis. Seminars in ultrasound CT and MR 2013, 34, 81–88.
- Calès P, Oberti F, Michalak S, Hubert-Fouchard I, Rousselet MC, Konaté A, Gallois Y, Ternisien C, Chevailler A, Lunel F: A novel panel of blood markers to assess the degree of liver fibrosis. Hepatology 2005, 42, 1373–1381.
- Halfon P, Munteanu M, Poynard T: FibroTest-ActiTest as a non-invasive marker of liver fibrosis. Gastroenter Clin Biol 2008, 32, 22–39.
- Guéchot J, Laudat A, Loria A, Serfaty L, Poupon R, Giboudeau J: Diagnostic accuracy of hyaluronan and type III procollagen amino-terminal peptide serum assays as markers of liver fibrosis in chronic viral hepatitis C evaluated by ROC curve analysis. Clin Chem 1996, 42, 558–563.
- Pilette C, Rousselet MC, Bedossa P, Chappard D, Oberti F, Rifflet H, Maiga MY, Gallois Y, Cales P: Histopathological evaluation of liver fibrosis: quantitative image analysis vs. semi-quantitative scores. Comparison with serum markers. J Hepatol 1998, 28, 439–446.
- Murawaki Y, Koda M, Okamoto K, Mimura K, Kawasaki H: Diagnostic value of serum type IV collagen test in comparison with platelet count for predicting the fibrotic stage in patients with chronic hepatitis C. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2001, 16, 777–781.
- Murawaki Y, Ikuta Y, Okamoto K, Koda M, Kawasaki H: Serum matrix metalloproteinase-3 (stromelysin-1) concentration in patients with chronic liver disease. J Hepatol 1999, 31, 474–481.
- Lichtinghagen R, Michels D, Haberkorn CI, Arndt B, Bahr M, Flemming P, Manns MP, Boeker KH: Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2, MMP-7, and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 are closely related to the fibroproliferative process in the liver during chronic hepatitis C. J Hepatol 2001, 34, 239–247.
- Boursier J, Bacq Y, Halfon P, Leroy V, De Ledinghen V, De Muret A, Bourlière M, Sturm N, Foucher J, Oberti F, Rousselet MC, Calès P: Improved diagnostic accuracy of blood tests for severe fibrosis and cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis C. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepat 2009, 21, 28–38.
- Naveau S, Gaudé G, Asnacios A, Agostini H, Abella A, Barri-Ova N, Dauvois B, Prévot S, Ngo Y, Munteanu M, Balian A, Njiké-Nakseu M, Perlemuter G, Poynard T: Diagnostic and prognostic values of noninvasive biomarkers of fibrosis in patients with alcoholic liver disease. Hepatology 2009, 49, 97–105.
- Castéra L, Vergniol J, Foucher J, Le Bail B, Castera L, Le Bail B: Prospective comparison of transient elastography, Fibrotest, APRI, and liver biopsy for the assessment of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology 2005, 128, 343–350.
- Maor Y, Halfon P, Bashari D, Pénaranda G, Morali G, Klar R, Bar-Meir S, Martinowitz U, Oren R: Fibrotest or Fibroscan for evaluation of liver fibrosis in haemophilia patients infected with hepatitis C. Haemophilia 2010, 16, 148–154.
- Ferraioli G, Tinelli C, Bello BD, Zicchetti M, Filice G, Filice C, Above E, Barbarini G, Brunetti E, Calderon W, Di Gregorio M, Lissandrin R, Ludovisi S, Maiocchi L, Malfitano A, Michelone G, Mondelli M, Patruno SFA, Perretti AF, Poma G, Sacchi P, Zaramella M: Accuracy of real-time shear wave elastography for assessing liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C: A pilot study. Hepatology 2012, 1–9.
- Poynard T, Munteanu M, Luckina E, Perazzo H, Ngo Y, Royer L, Fedchuk L, Sattonnet F, Pais R, Lebray P, Rudler M, Thabut D, Ratziu V: Liver fibrosis evaluation using real-time shear wave elastography: applicability and diagnostic performance using methods without a gold standard. J Hepatol 2013, vol. null.
- Sebastiani G, Halfon P, Castera L, Pol S, Thomas DL, Mangia A, Di Marco V, Pirisi M, Voiculescu M, Guido M, Bourliere M, Noventa F, Alberti A: SAFE biopsy: A validated method for large-scale staging of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 2009, 49, 1821–1827.
- Lucidarme D, Foucher J, Le Bail B, Vergniol J, Castera L, Duburque C, Forzy G, Filoche B, Couzigou P, De Ledinghen V: Factors of accuracy of transient elastography (fibroscan) for the diagnosis of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 2009, 49, 1083–1089.
- Theodore D, Fried MW, Kleiner DE, Kroner BL, Goedert JJ, Eyster ME, Faust SP, Sherman KE, Kessler CM, Francis C: Aledort LM: Liver biopsy in patients with inherited disorders of coagulation and chronic hepatitis C. Haemophilia 2004, 10, 413–421.
- Maor Y, Bashari D, Kenet G, Lubetsky A, Luboshitz J, Schapiro JM, Pénaranda G, Bar-Meir S, Martinowitz U, Halfon P: Non-invasive biomarkers of liver fibrosis in haemophilia patients with hepatitis C: can you avoid liver biopsy? Haemophilia 2006, 12, 372–379.
- Posthouwer D, Mauser-Bunschoten EP, Fischer K, Van Erpecum KJ, De Knegt RJ: Significant liver damage in patients with bleeding disorders and chronic hepatitis C: non-invasive assessment of liver fibrosis using transient elastography. JTH 2007, 5, 25–30.