Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2015, vol. 24, nr 1, January-February, p. 173–178
Publication type: review article
Remembrance of Professor Tadeusz Marciniak – Lviv Tradition in Wrocław
1 Department of Anatomy, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
2 Student, Faculty of Medicine, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
After the seizure of Lviv by the Soviets, in the years 1944–1946, Tadeusz Marciniak worked in the Descriptive Anatomy Department in the State-Medical Institute of Lviv and also performed the function of the dean of the Medical Faculty. On receiving a proposal to assume the Chair of the Anatomy Department in Wrocław, he made the decision to leave Lviv. By July 2nd, 1946, prof. Tadeusz Marciniak had taken over the duties of full professor of the Descriptive Anatomy Department of the Medical Faculty of the University and the Technical College of Wrocław. On taking his job in Wrocław, prof. Marciniak undertook attempts to restore the worn out parts of the Anatomy Department building. Due to the lack of Polish manuals, he also took to the preparation of scripts for medical students. Professor Marciniak was a member of the Wrocław Section of the Polish Anthropological Association and a regular member of the Wroclaw Association of Science. His main scientific interests referred to the morphogenesis of the central nervous system and urinary system. He concentrated on circulatory system and muscular system tetralogies. Professor Marciniak also actively participated in administrative work at the university. In the years 1947–1948, he held the office of associate dean of the Medical Faculty, and till 1950 was a member of the Senate of the University and Technical College of Wrocław. In the years 1959–1962, he was a vice rector of the Medical University of Wrocław.
Tadeusz Marciniak, history of anatomy, Polish medical universities, University and Technical College of Wrocław, Jan Kazimierz University.
- Document dated July 2nd, 1946, with the information sent by the dean of the Medical Faculty, Prof. Grabowski, about Prof. Tadeusz Marciniak, as a full professor, taking over the post of the Head of the Anatomy Dept. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Document dated December 20th, 1946, declaring that the president of the National Council appoints the citizen, Tadeusz Marciniak, the title of full professor of descriptive anatomy at the Medical Faculty with the Pharmaceutical Section of the University of Wrocław; the president of the National Council, Bolesław Bierut. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Document dated January 21st, 1947, defining a professor’s duties in the field of anatomy teaching due to the appointment of Tadeusz Marciniak to full professor, with the decree of the President of the National Council. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Document dated December 18th, 1947, a paper to Tadeusz Marciniak, to the Manager of the University and the Technical College about the appointment of Tadeusz Marciniak to school inspector of the Brotherhood of Students of the University and Technical College of Wrocław. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Document dated April 21st, 1953 from the Education Department of the Ministry of Health to the rector of the Medical University of Wrocław. The manager of the department, Prof. Rogiński; in response to a letter from the rector, the Education Department of the Ministry of Health accepts Prof. Tadeusz Marciniak taking over script publishing affairs and grants him monthly earnings, with reference to a paper dated January 23rd, 1953 defining April 1st as officiation onset. Private archive of profess
- Document in the form of a letter from the Brotherhood of Students of the University and Technical College of Wrocław dated March 23rd, 1950 to the School Inspector of the Brotherhood, Prof. Tadeusz Marciniak, with the information that the last Extended Presidium of the Committee will take place on March 27th, at 7 pm at 34 Szewska St. At this session the resolution would be taken about dissolution of the association of the Brotherhood of Students. Signed by the president, Józef Kuziewicz. Privat
- Document dated March 1st, 1948 from the Wrocław Scientific Association about the appointment of Prof. Marciniak to full member of the Wrocław Scientific Association. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Document dated February 15th, 1949, from Tadeusz Marciniak to Prof. Zaorski informing him about the former’s intention to apply to the post of the head of the Descriptive Anatomy Dept. and the request for consent to take the post of the head of the Normal Anatomy Dept. Date: Feb. 15th,1949. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Document dated February 21st, 1949, a letter from Tadeusz Marciniak to the Dean of the Medical Faculty, Prof. Tadeusz Baranowski, informing him about withdrawing his candidacy from the post of the head of the Normal Anatomy Dept. at the University of Warsaw. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Copy of a document dated June 12th, 1959 informing, “I declare that I have taken note of the election of Prof. Boguslaw Dobrański to rector and Prof. Aleksander Kleczewski, Prof. Tadeusz Marciniak and Prof. Tadeusz Kudarbiński to associate rectors of the Medical University of Wrocław, for the period of 3 years starting from September 1st, 1959, Prof. Tadeusz Marciniak, the associate rector for research affairs. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Document dated February 9th, 1962, from the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to Tadeusz Marciniak, permitting him to do extra paid regular employment in the College of Physical Education in Wrocław with the post of head of the Biomechanics Dept. till September 30th, 1963. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Document dated October 13th, 1962, informing Prof. Tadeusz Marciniak that the Rector’s College, on the occasion of the inauguration of the academic year 1962–1963 in the Medical University of Wrocław, due to his incredible contributions to research and didactic development, had resolved prize money in the amount of 4000 PLN be awarded to him and looked forward to further successful research work. Rector Aleksander Kleczeński. The letter to the Minister of Health and Social Welfare dated August 1
- Identity card no. 1-37076, dated July 22nd, 1964, concerning the Resolution of the National Council awarding Prof. Tadeusz Marciniak the honor of the Commander’s Cross of Polonia Restituta. Secret document: Recommendation to award Prof. Marciniak with the Commander’s Cross of Polonia Restituta, no date mentioned. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Letter dated April 30th, 1966 and sent to Prof. Tadeusz Marciniak: “With relation to retirement, I hereby thank you for many long years of work in Polish Republic University Education and acknowledge gratitude and admiration for your research and didactic activity connected with the education of Polish intelligentsia and young research workers. The Minister of Health and the Social Welfare”. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.
- Typescript of the lecture for candidates to the first year of medical studies in the year 1946 – “On Fertilization”. Private archive of professor Roman Marciniak.