Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
Ahead of print
Publication type: original article
License: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0)
Zhang T, Ji Y, Yu S, Wang N, Zhang Q, Guo K. Rspo1 inhibited apoptosis of glucocorticoid-induced osteoblasts via Wnt/β-catenin pathway in Legg–Calve–Perthes disease [published online as ahead of print on March 7, 2023]. Adv Clin Exp Med. 2023. doi:10.17219/acem/156958
Rspo1 inhibited apoptosis of glucocorticoid-induced osteoblasts via Wnt/β-catenin pathway in Legg–Calve–Perthes disease
1 School of Clinical Medicine, Guizhou Medical University, Guiyang, China
2 Fengtai YouAnMen Hospital, Beijing, China
3 Department of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Affiliated Hospital of Zunyi Medical University, China
Background. The pathogenesis of Legg–Calve–Perthes disease (LCPD), a juvenile form of avascular necrosis of the femoral head (ANFH), is not fully understood.
Objectives. The purpose of this work was to study the regulatory effect of R-spondin 1 (Rspo1) on osteoblastic apoptosis and evaluate the pre-clinical efficacy of recombinant human protein Rspo1 (rhRspo1) in treatment of LCPD.
Material and Methods. This is an experimental study. In vivo rabbit ANFH model was established. Human osteoblast cell line hFOB1.19 (hFOB) was used to overexpress and silence Rspo1 in vitro. Additionally, hFOB cells were induced with glucocorticoid (GC) and methylprednisolone (MP), and treated with rhRspo1. The expressions of Rspo1, β-catenin, Dkk-1, Bcl-2, and caspase-3, and the apoptosis rate of hFOB cells were examined.
Results. The expressions of Rspo1 and β-catenin were lower in ANFH rabbits. The expression of Rspo1 was decreased in GC-induced hFOB cells. Compared to the control group, after 1 μM MP induction for 72 h, the expressions of β-catenin and Bcl-2 were higher, while Dkk-1, caspase-3 and cleaved caspase-3 expressions were lower in Rspo1 overexpression and rhRspo1-treated groups. The apoptosis rate of GC-induced hFOB cells was decreased in Rspo1 overexpression and rhRspo1-treated groups compared to the control group.
Conclusion. R-spondin 1 inhibited GC-induced osteoblast apoptosis via Wnt/β-catenin pathway, which might be associated with the development of ANFH. Moreover, rhRspo1 had a potential pre-clinical therapeutic effect on LCPD.
apoptosis, Wnt/β-catenin pathway, osteoblast, R-spondin 1, Perthes disease
- Kamiya N, Kim HK. Elevation of proinflammatory cytokine HMGB1 in the synovial fluid of patients with Legg–Calvé–Perthes disease and correlation with IL-6. JBMR Plus. 2021;5(2):e10429. doi:10.1002/jbm4.10429
- Ren Y, Deng Z, Gokani V, et al. Anti-interleukin 6 therapy decreases hip synovitis and bone resorption and increases bone formation following ischemic osteonecrosis of the femoral head. J Bone Miner Res. 2021;36(2):357–368. doi:10.1002/jbmr.4191
- Johnson CP, Wang L, Tóth F, et al. Quantitative susceptibility mapping detects neovascularization of the epiphyseal cartilage after ischemic injury in a piglet model of Legg–Calvé–Perthes disease. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2019;50(1):106–113. doi:10.1002/jmri.26552
- Morris WZ, Liu RW, Chen E, Kim HK. Analysis of trabecular microstructure and vascular distribution of capital femoral epiphysis relevant to Legg–Calve–Perthes disease. J Orthop Res. 2019;37(8):1784–1789. doi:10.1002/jor.24311
- Guan XY, Han D. Role of hypercoagulability in steroid-induced femoral head necrosis in rabbits. J Orthop Sci. 2010;15(3):365–370. doi:10.1007/s00776-010-1452-6
- Mulati M, Kobayashi Y, Takahashi A, et al. The long noncoding RNA Crnde regulates osteoblast proliferation through the Wnt/β-catenin signaling pathway in mice. Bone. 2020;130:115076. doi:10.1016/j.bone.2019.115076
- Geng A, Wu T, Cai C, et al. A novel function of R-spondin1 in regulating estrogen receptor expression independent of Wnt/β-catenin signaling. eLife. 2020;9:e56434. doi:10.7554/eLife.56434
- Clevers H, Nusse R. Wnt/β-catenin signaling and disease. Cell. 2012;149(6):1192–1205. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2012.05.012
- Chen M, Han H, Zhou S, Wen Y, Chen L. Morusin induces osteogenic differentiation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells by canonical Wnt/β-catenin pathway and prevents bone loss in an ovariectomized rat model. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2021;12(1):173. doi:10.1186/s13287-021-02239-3
- Park S, Cui J, Yu W, Wu L, Carmon KS, Liu QJ. Differential activities and mechanisms of the four R-spondins in potentiating Wnt/β-catenin signaling. J Biol Chem. 2018;293(25):9759–9769. doi:10.1074/jbc.RA118.002743
- Cai C, Yu QC, Jiang W, et al. R-spondin1 is a novel hormone mediator for mammary stem cell self-renewal. Genes Dev. 2014;28(20):2205–2218. doi:10.1101/gad.245142.114
- Lacour F, Vezin E, Bentzinger CF, et al. R-spondin1 controls muscle cell fusion through dual regulation of antagonistic Wnt signaling pathways. Cell Rep. 2017;18(10):2320–2330. doi:10.1016/j.celrep.2017.02.036
- Lähde M, Heino S, Högström J, et al. Expression of R-spondin 1 in Apc mice suppresses growth of intestinal adenomas by altering Wnt and transforming growth factor beta signaling. Gastroenterology. 2021;160(1):245–259. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2020.09.011
- Shi GX, Zheng XF, Zhu C, et al. Evidence of the role of R-spondin 1 and its receptor Lgr4 in the transmission of mechanical stimuli to biological signals for bone formation. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18(3):564. doi:10.3390/ijms18030564
- Dai Z, Jin Y, Zheng J, et al. MiR-217 promotes cell proliferation and osteogenic differentiation of BMSCs by targeting DKK1 in steroid-associated osteonecrosis. Biomed Pharmacother. 2019;109:1112–1119. doi:10.1016/j.biopha.2018.10.166
- Lu W, Kim KA, Liu J, et al. R-spondin1 synergizes with Wnt3A in inducing osteoblast differentiation and osteoprotegerin expression. FEBS Lett. 2008;582(5):643–650. doi:10.1016/j.febslet.2008.01.035
- Kim KA, Kakitani M, Zhao J, et al. Mitogenic influence of human R-spondin1 on the intestinal epithelium. Science. 2005;309(5738):1256–1259. doi:10.1126/science.1112521
- Chen X, Chen L, Tan J, et al. Rspo1–LGR4 axis in BMSCs protects bone against radiation-induced injury through the mTOR-dependent autophagy pathway. J Cell Physiol. 2021;236(6):4273–4289. doi:10.1002/jcp.30051
- Sugano N, Atsumi T, Ohzono K, Kubo T, Hotokebuchi T, Takaoka K. The 2001 revised criteria for diagnosis, classification, and staging of idiopathic osteonecrosis of the femoral head. J Orthop Sci. 2002;7(5):601–605. doi:10.1007/s007760200108
- Levin G, Koga BAA, Belchior GG, Carreira ACO, Sogayar MC. Production, purification and characterization of recombinant human R-spondin1 (RSPO1) protein stably expressed in human HEK293 cells. BMC Biotechnol. 2020;20(1):5. doi:10.1186/s12896-020-0600-0
- Levin G, Zuber SM, Squillaro AI, Sogayar MC, Grikscheit TC, Carreira ACO. R-spondin 1 (RSPO1) increases mouse intestinal organoid unit size and survival in vitro and improves tissue-engineered small intestine formation in vivo. Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2020;8:476. doi:10.3389/fbioe.2020.00476
- Kerachian MA, Séguin C, Harvey EJ. Glucocorticoids in osteonecrosis of the femoral head: A new understanding of the mechanisms of action. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2009;114(3–5):121–128. doi:10.1016/j.jsbmb.2009.02.007
- Pavone V, Chisari E, Vescio A, Lizzio C, Sessa G, Testa G. Aetiology of Legg–Calvé–Perthes disease: A systematic review. World J Orthop. 2019;10(3):145–165. doi:10.5312/wjo.v10.i3.145
- Wang H, Brennan TA, Russell E, et al. R-spondin 1 promotes vibration-induced bone formation in mouse models of osteoporosis. J Mol Med. 2013;91(12):1421–1429. doi:10.1007/s00109-013-1068-3
- Sharma AR, Choi BS, Park JM, et al. Rspo 1 promotes osteoblast differentiation via Wnt signaling pathway. Indian J Biochem Biophys. 2013;50(1):19–25. PMID:23617070.
- Gong Y, Yuan S, Sun J, et al. R-spondin 2 induces odontogenic differentiation of dental pulp stem/progenitor cells via regulation of Wnt/β-catenin signaling. Front Physiol. 2020;11:918. doi:10.3389/fphys.2020.00918
- Sato AY, Cregor M, McAndrews K, et al. Glucocorticoid-induced bone fragility is prevented in female mice by blocking Pyk2/Anoikis signaling. Endocrinology. 2019;160(7):1659–1673. doi:10.1210/en.2019-00237
- Joshi PA, Waterhouse PD, Kannan N, et al. RANK signaling amplifies WNT-responsive mammary progenitors through R-spondin 1. Stem Cell Rep. 2015;5(1):31–44. doi:10.1016/j.stemcr.2015.05.012
- Luo J, Han J, Li Y, Liu Y. Downregulated SOX9 mediated by miR 206 promoted cell apoptosis in Legg–Calvé–Perthes disease. Oncol Lett. 2017;15(1):1319–1324. doi:10.3892/ol.2017.7373