Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2019, vol. 28, nr 3, March, p. 325–330
Publication type: original article
Clinical-pathological characteristics of patients treated for cancers of the eyelid skin and periocular areas
1 Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Frederic Chopin Clinical Hospital No. 1 in Rzeszów, Poland
2 Department of Emergency Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rzeszów, Poland
Background. Malignant cancers of the eyelid skin and the periocular area comprise 5–10% of facial skin malignant cancers. Basal cell carcinomas (BCCs) dominate, comprising approx. 80–90% of cancers of this area of the face. Considerably less often, in 9–14% of cases, squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs) are observed.
Objectives. The aim of this study is to provide an epidemiological-clinical assessment of patients treated over the period 2006–2015 for primary malignant cancers of the eyelid skin considering histological diagnosis and clinical staging.
Material and Methods. This study was based on an analysis of the medical records of 262 patients. Demographic data, age, sex, size and location of lesions, histological types, and clinical staging were assessed.
Results. In the analyzed group of 262 patients, most were over the age of 60 years. Primary cancers were most frequently located in the area of the medial canthus of the eye and in the lower eyelid skin. They were mainly lesions of 6–10 mm and 16–20 mm with histologically diagnosed basal cell carcinoma of nodular and cystic types.
Conclusion. The most represented group was that of patients aged 60–70 years with primary cancers located in the medial canthus of the eye (47.3%) and in the lower eyelid. Basal cell carcinoma was diagnosed, mainly nodular and cystic types.
skin, malignant tumor, eyelid, epidemiological studies
- Spiteri N, McCormick A. Periocular basal cell carcinoma. OiP. 2013;14: 97–106.
- Wang CJ, Zhang HN, Wu H, et al. Clinicopathologic features and prognostic factors of malignant eyelid tumors. Int J Ophthalmol. 2013;6(4):442–447.
- Coroi MC, Roşca E, Muţiu G, Coroi T, Bonta M. Eyelid tumors: Histopathological and clinical study performed in County Hospital of Oradea between 2000–2007. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2010;51(1):111–115.
- Cook BE, Bartley GB. Treatment options and future prospects for the management of eyelid malignancies. Ophthalmology. 2001;108(11):2089–2098.
- Cook BE Jr, Bartley GB. Epidemiologic characteristics and clinical course of patients with malignant eyelid tumors in an incidence cohort in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Ophthalmology. 1999:106(4): 746–750.
- Esmaeli B, Wang B, Deavers M, et al. Prognostic factors for survival in malignant melanoma of the eyelid skin. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000;16(4):250–257.
- Hamada S, Kersey T, Thaller VT. Eyelid basal cell carcinoma: Non-Mohs excision, repair and outcome. Br J Ophthalmol. 2005;89(8):992–994.
- Kale SM, Patil SB, Khare N, et al. Clinicopathological analysis of eyelid malignancies: A review of 85 cases. Indian J Plast Surg. 2012;45(1):22–28.
- Nemet AY, Deckel Y, Martin PA, et al. Management of periocular basal and squamous cell carcinoma: A series of 485 cases. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006;142(2):293–297.
- Donaldson MJ, Sullivan TJ, Whitehead KJ, Williamson RM. Squamous cell carcinoma of the eyelids. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002;86(10):1161–1165.
- Vaziri M, Buffam FV, Martinka M, Oryschak A, Dhaliwal H, White VA. Clinicopathologic features and behavior of cutaneous eyelid melanoma. Ophthalmology. 2002; 109(5):901–908.
- Burns SJ, Foss AJ, Butler TK. Outcome of periocular sebaceous gland carcinoma. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005:21(5):353–355.
- Iljin A, Zieliński T, Antoszewski B, Sporny S. Clinicopathological analysis of reccurent basal cell carcinoma of the eyelid. Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2016;33(1):42–46.
- Ben Simon GJ, Lukovetsky S, Lavinsky F, Rosen N, Rosner M. Histological and clinical features of primary and recurrent periocular basal cell carcinoma. ISRN Ophthalmology. 2012:354829.
- Allali J, D'Hermies FD, Renard G. Basal cell carcinomas of the eyelids. Ophthalmologica. 2005;219(2):57–71.