Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2015, vol. 24, nr 4, July-August, p. 651–656
Publication type: original article
Percutaneous Vertebroplasty for Pathological Vertebral Compression Fractures Secondary to Multiple Myeloma – Medium-Term and Long-Term Assessment of Pain Relief and Quality of Life
1 Department of Hematology, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Kraków, Poland
2 Department of Neurosurgery, St. Raphael’s Hospital, Kraków, Poland
Background. In patients with multiple myeloma (MM) there is a high risk of compression fractures of the spine. In the majority of cases, the method of treatment is percutaneous vertebroplasty (PV) or kyphoplasty (PK). The number of studies verifying their efficacy in MM is still relatively small.
Objectives. The aim of this study has been to assess mediumand long-term pain relief as well as improvement in the quality of life (QL) after PV in MM cases.
Material and Methods. There was a prospective group of 34 MM cases in which a total of 131 vertebral bodies were augmented by means of PV. It was possible to follow up 22 patients who agreed to take part in the assessment. Their level of daily activity and the level of pain were assessed using the Oswestry Back Pain scale and a visual analogue scale (VAS) before PV and at a later date (medium-term follow up was a mean of 10 months after the last operation). Five out of eight cases in which 4.5–5 years had elapsed since the first PV were tested again (long-term follow-up).
Results. Relief of pain and improvement of QL, assessed a mean of 10 months after PV, proved to be statistically significant. On the average, pain decreased by 4.7 points as measured on the VAS scale and the average improvement in the QL measured on the Oswestry scale was 27.7%. There were no neurological or general complications. After 4.5–5 years, there has not been any significant change in the level of pain relief or the improvement in the QL in the 5 cases in which long-term assessment was possible.
Conclusion. In MM cases, PV is a simple, effective and safe method for the treatment of vertebral infiltration and compression fractures, giving permanent long-term pain relief and concomitant improvement in the QL.
myeloma, vertebroplasty, vertebral fractures.
- Galibert P, Deramond H: Preliminary note on the treatment of vertebral angioma by percutaneous acrylic vertebroplasty. Neurochirurgie 1987, 33, 166–168.
- Hussein MA, Vrionis FD, Allison R, Berenson J, Berven S, Erdem E, Giralt S, Jagannath S, Kyle RA, LeGrand S, Pflugmacher R, Raje N, Rajkumar SV, Randall RL, Roodman D, Siegel D, Vescio R, Zonder J, Durie BG: International Myloma Working Group. The role of vertebral augmentation in multiple myeloma: International Myeloma Working Group Consensus Statement. Leukemia 2008, 22, 1479–1484.
- Fairbank JC, Pynsent PB: The Oswestry Disability Index. Spine 2000, 15, 2940–2952.
- Masala S, Anselmenti GC, Marcia S, Massari F, Manca A, Simonetti G: Percutaneous vertebroplasty in multiple myeloma vertebral involvement. J Spinal Disord Tech 2008, 21, 344–348.
- Peh WCG, Gilula LA: Percutaneous vertebroplasty: indications, contraindications and technique. Brit J Radiol 2003, 77, 69–75.
- Shimony JS, Gilula LA, Zeller AJ, Brown DB: Percutaneous vertebroplasty for malignant compression fractures with epidural involvement. Radiology 2004, 232, 846–853.
- Rodriguez-Catarino M, Blimark C, Willen J, Mellqvist UH, Rodjer S: Percutaneous vertebroplasty at C2: case report of a patient with multiple myeloma and a literature review. Eur Spine J 2007, 16, 242–249.
- Gigante N, Pierangeli E: Minimally invasive approach for kyphoplasty of the first thoracic vertebra in a patient with multiple myeloma. Minim Invasive Neurosurg 2008, 51, 26–29.
- Chiras J, Barragan-Campos HM, Cormier E, Jean B, Rose M, LeJean L: Vertebroplastie: état de l’art. J Radiol 2007, 88, 1255–1260.
- Barragan-Campos HM, Vallee JN, Lo D, Cormier E, Jean B, Rose M, Astagneau P, Chiras J: Percutaneous vertebroplasty for spinal metastases: complications. Radiology 2006, 238, 354–362.
- Cotten A, Dewatre F, Cortet B. Assaker R, Leblond D, Duquesnoy B, Chastanet P, Clarisse J: Percutaneous vertebroplasty for osteolytic metastases and myeloma: effects of the percentage of lesion filling and the leakage of metylmetacrylate at clinical follow-up. Radiology 1996, 200, 525–530.
- Ramos L, de Las Heras JA, Sanchez S, Gonzales-Porras JR, Gonazales R, Mateos MV, San Miguel JF: Medium-term results of percutaneous vertebroplasty in multiple myeloma. Eur J Hematol 2006, 77, 7–13.
- Rehak S, Maisnar V, Malek V, Cesak T, Ryska P, Bartos M, Talab R: Diagnosis and surgical therapy of plasma cell neoplasia of the spine. Neoplasma 2009, 56, 84–87.
- McDonald RJ, Trout AT, Gray LA, Dispenzieri A, Thielen KR, Kallmes DF: Vertebroplasty in multiple myeloma: outcomes in a large patient series. AJNR 2008, 29, 642–648.
- Lee B, Franklin I, Lewis JS, Coombes RC, Leonard R, Gishen P, Stebbing J: The efficacy of percutaneous vertebroplasty for vertebral metastases associated with solid malignancies. Eur J Cancer 2009, 45, 1597–1602.
- Anselmetti GC, Manca A, Montemurro F, Hirsch J, Chiara G, Grignani G, Carnevale Schianca F, Capaldi A, Rota Scalabrini D, Sardo E, Debernardi F, Iussich G, Regge D: Percutaneous vertebroplasty in multiple myeloma: prospective long-term follow-up in 106 consecutive patients. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2011, 35, 139–145.
- Anselmetti GC, Marcia S, Saba L, Muto M, Bonaldi G, Carpeggiani P, Marini S, Manca A, Masala S: Percutaneous vertebroplasty: multi-centric results from EVEREST experience in large cohort of patients. Eur J Radiol 2012, 81, 4083–4086.
- Chen LH, Hsieh MK, Niu CC, Fu TS, Lai PL, Chen WJ: Percutaneous vertebroplasty for pathological vertebral compression fractures secondary to multiple myeloma. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2012, 132, 759–764.
- Khan OA, Binjikji W, Kallmes DF: Vertebral augmentation in patients with multiple myeloma: a pooled analysis of published case series. AJNR 2014, 35, 207–210.
- Mendoza TR, Koyyalagunta D, Burton AW, Thomas SK, Phan M-HV, Giralt SA, Shah JJ, Cleeland CS: Changes in pain and other symptoms in patients with painful multiple myeloma-related vertebral fracture treated with kyphoplasty or vertebroplasty. J Pain 2012, 13, 564–570.
- Tancioni F, Lorenzetti M, Navarria P, Nozza A, Castagna L, Gaetani P, Aimar E, Levi D, Di leva A, Pisano P, Santoro A, Scorsetti M, Rodriguez y Baena R: Vertebroplasty for pain relief and spinal stabilization in multiple myeloma. Neurol Sci 2010, 31, 151–157.
- Kose KC, Cobesoy O, Akan B, Altinel L, Dincer D, Yazar T: Functional results of vertebral augmentation techniques in pathological vertebral fractures of myelomatous patients. J Nat Med Ass 2008, 98, 1654–1658.
- Tran Thang NN, Abdo G, Martin JB, Seium-Neberay Y, Yilmaz H, Verbist MC, Rufenacht D, Sappino AP, Dietrich PY: Percutaneous cementoplasty in multiple myeloma: a valuable adjunct for pain control and ambulation maintenance. Support Care Cancer 2008, 16, 891–896.
- Huber FX, McArthur N, Tanner M, Gritzbach B, Schoierer O, Rothfischer W, Krohmer G, Lessl E, Baier M, Meeder PJ, Kasperk C: Kyphoplasty for patients with multiple myeloma is a safe surgical procedure: results from a large patient cohort. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 2009, 9, 375–380.
- Pflugmacher R, Bornemann R, Koch EM, Hausmann D, Otten LA, Goost H, Wirtz D, Kabit K: Comparative findings of balloon kyphoplasty in patients with vertebral fractures due to osteoporosis, metastases and myeloma. Z Ortop Unfall 2012, 150, 198–204.
- Orgera G, Krokidis J, Matteoli M, Varano GM, La Verde G, David V, Rossi M: Percutaneous vertebroplasty for pain management in patients with multiple myeloma: is radiofrequency ablation necessary? Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2014, 37, 203–210.
- Miller FG, Kallmes DF, Buchbinder R: Vertebroplasty and the placebo response. Radiology 2011, 259, 621–625.
- Staples MP, Kallmes DF, Comstock BA, Jarvik JG, Osborne RH, Heagerty PJ, Buchbinder R: Effectiveness of vertebroplasty using individual patient data from two randomised placebo controlled trials: meta-analysis. BMJ 2011, 343, d3952.
- Garland P, Gishen P, Rahemtulla A: Percutaneous vertebroplasty to treat painful myelomatous vertebral deposits – long-term efficacy outcomes. Ann Hematol 2011, 90, 95–100.
- Wardlaw D, Cummings SR, Van Meirhaeghe J, Bastian L, Tillman JB, Ranstam J, Eastell R, Shabe P, Talmadge K, Boonen S: Efficacy and safety of balloon kyphoplasty compared with non-surgical care for vertebral compression fracture (FREE): A randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2009, 373, 1016–1024.
- Klazen CA, Lohle PN, de Vries J, Jansen FH, Tielbeek AV, Blonk MC, Venmans A, van Rooij WJ, Schoemaker MC, Juttmann JR, Lo TH, Verhaar HJ, van der Graaf Y, van Evendingen KJ, Muller AF, Elgersma OE, Halkema DR, Fransen H, Janssens X, Buskens E, Mali WP: Vertebroplasty vs. conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (vertos II): An open-label randomised trial. Lancet 2010, 1085–1092.